IGNORED

Starter problem

The bike is 89 VR that was a complete running project (cosmetics). I would start it a couple of times a week and ride it a few blocks, then the starter died. I got a 4 brush form ebay and basically forgot about it and it sat since February. This past week I finally changed the starter and after having to break the gas cap to get good gas in it, I wanted to synch the carbs and they were really off. After a few days of that I went out today to try again and the starter would spin but no engine rotation. It never made noise like a starter clutch failure or sounded strange. So where do I start?

I got a 4 brush form ebay... ...the starter would spin but no engine rotation.

Not all Mitsuba SM13 series four brush starters will work on the Venture.

The motor rotation may be clockwise or it may be counterclockwise, depending on the intended application.

The armature pinion may project more or less depending on the intended application.

The armature pinion teeth may have different pitch (number of teeth) depending on intended application.

Is the starter a used starter from a Second Gen Venture or other 1991 and newer Yamaha XVZ1300?

Or is it a new aftermarket starter?

From your description, it seems that either the armature pinion is not engaged with the gear in the starter gear train or the rotation of the motor is incorrect and the one way sprag is not locking up because of it.

It is possible also that the starter clutch (sprag) is seized in the freewheel position.

From the pics I do not see anything wrong.

As long as you are in there, turn the 72 tooth gear by hand it should only turn one way.

When you put the cover back on, you MUST have a gasket or the gears WILL bind.

I took the gears back off to spin the 72 tooth gear, turned freely in only one direction ,clockwise. This afternoon I hit the starter with the cover still off and everything worked as advertised. Before I put this thing back together I need to know what went wrong or is there something else I need to do before reassembly. I ask this also because the gaskets looked fairly new and maybe the PO had an issue or left something out.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible also that the starter clutch (sprag) is seized in the freewheel position.

I am back to square one. I went to start the bike today and got nothing but the sound of a spinning starter with no engine rotation. Any other thoughts on what might be happening or what else I need to look at?

I suspect there is a fault in the starter clutch. Either broken springs, rusty and sticky rollers or worn/damaged clutch face on the 72 tooth gear (where the starter clutch 'sprag' engages) or cracked starter clutch, causing a failure to engage.

broken starter clutch.jpg

I suspect there is a fault in the starter clutch. Either broken springs, rusty and sticky rollers or worn/damaged clutch face on the 72 tooth gear (where the starter clutch 'sprag' engages) or cracked starter clutch, causing a failure to engage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102154[/ATTACH]

Since I didn't have the usual noise with a bad starter clutch I thought maybe I would be spared this task.

I was helping a friend with his '86 or 87 venture and had a starter issue where the starter would spin and squeal but only sometime engage the engine to turn the engine.. We took that cover off figuring we'd see something (I was guessing the flywheel key sheared) but nothing jumped out.. We even cranked the starter cover off while stabilizing the starter idler gear shafts. I gave him an old starter to try but suspect the starter clutch,.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102154[/ATTACH]

So I need the starter clutch and the 72 tooth gear?