IGNORED

Can I run without my fuel tank?

Dave77459

Dave,

You shouldn't have any troubles from what I can see, as long as the aux tank is vented so you dont create a vacuum in it. The fuel sensor unit is not needed to run the bike. Are you thinking about doing a color tune and want the tank off to see it better?

Dave,

Last week I posted about a hanging fuel cell for working in the garage while having the tank off in order to sync carbs, etc, more handily. While there was much discussion, I think Larry (Carbon One) came up with the best and most mobile solution that may be just what you are looking for... Here is his comment:

"Well after giving this some thought I don't think you even need a fuel bottle. By using a small gas can, a length of hose, and a double barbed fitting you could use the bikes fuel pump to keep the carbs primed. Simply place the small gas can near the bike, dropping the hose into it and hook up the fitting to the bikes inlet hose. Once the key is turned on the fuel pump should pull fuel into the carbs.

Also if for some reason the stock fuel pump isn't working you could put a temporary fuel pump between the gas can and the bikes inlet hose."

Larry

Hope this is applicable and helps... James:biker::biker:

I have an aux fuel cell connected via a valved T between the Main/Reserve selector and the fuel pump. Can I use that at Maintenance Days to run my bike if I take the tank off? Do I need to short the fuel sender unit or something?

Dave

Considering you already have a "T" you should be able to run the engine off the auxiliary tank provided there's a way to keep fuel from flowing out the main tanks inlet hose.

With the auxiliary tank set up I use for the trikes all I have to do is filp a switch turning on the auxiliary tank and blocking the main fuel line in the process.

Need more details just ask.

Larry

Dave,

Last week I posted about a hanging fuel cell for working in the garage while having the tank off in order to sync carbs, etc, more handily. While there was much discussion, I think Larry (Carbon One) came up with the best and most mobile solution that may be just what you are looking for... Here is his comment:

"Well after giving this some thought I don't think you even need a fuel bottle. By using a small gas can, a length of hose, and a double barbed fitting you could use the bikes fuel pump to keep the carbs primed. Simply place the small gas can near the bike, dropping the hose into it and hook up the fitting to the bikes inlet hose. Once the key is turned on the fuel pump should pull fuel into the carbs.

Also if for some reason the stock fuel pump isn't working you could put a temporary fuel pump between the gas can and the bikes inlet hose."

Larry

Hope this is applicable and helps... James:biker::biker:

Very useful, thanks!

Considering you already have a "T" you should be able to run the engine off the auxiliary tank provided there's a way to keep fuel from flowing out the main tanks inlet hose.

With the auxiliary tank set up I use for the trikes all I have to do is filp a switch turning on the auxiliary tank and blocking the main fuel line in the process.

Need more details just ask.

Larry

So that fuel sender connection at the top of the tank doesn't need anything?

I might just unplug the valve between the aux and the fuel pump and put in a right angle fitting, taking the tank out of the equation.

Thanks for your replies!

Dave