IGNORED

My apologies

Hummingbird

After reading all the posts involved...yours was one of the shorter replies....

There were a couple of posters that kept respoding to everything that was written.

It's a very sad tragedy. My condolenses to the victums, families and first responders involved. Lets honor them by not trying to further an agenda.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Apology accepted Dick! My feeling was with the thread in the forum it was in to stray from it's original intent was inappropriate. As Captain Joe mentioned, yours was a shorter response, you weren't the only poster nor were you the first.

You sir are a true Gentleman and I highly respect you for this thread!

On a positive note... the thread was kept civil but as I mentioned there (although I responded in detail to comments posted) it needed to stay on the topic of condolences to the families.

The topic of how the U.S. moves forward after so many tragedies will be discussed for some time to come. But this is not the forum to discuss.

Hummingbird... although you entered into the fray in the thread.... you did so with civility and concern for the families affected. This is a strength I find in members of VR.org where 99% can have open discussions without personal attacks. I include you in that 99% and value your opinions and responses.

On the topic of THIS thread, I did not read anything that I thought anyone needed to apologize for in the other thread. If anyone thinks I posted anything in disrespect, please send me a PM, I will sincerely consider it, and post it.

On the topic of the other thread, ALL posters (I think) expressed sympathies for those involved in the school tragedy, including me. A topic of conversation among friends will always flow into related and different topics and I believe there is no cause for the original poster to feel slighted when that occurs. Moderators of this club are there to serve us when posters digress into disrespect or topics continue into areas that are not allowed, and it is my opinion that neither occurred in that thread, and that the moderators did not need to take any action, BUT I completely respect any action that they took.

I thank the posters for respectfully expressing their opinions, I thank the moderators for their work, and I also thank the members who showed self-restraint for not posting comments that they knew would be disrespectful.

Here is my rationale for why the topic is important to have in this club:

We have a club populated by the majority of members living in 2 neighbouring countries that have different laws. I have traveled hundreds of thousands of kilometers in the USA on my motorcycle without feeling the need for the same level of personal protection that I know other members would not travel without, and I have a strong desire to know if that is a wise decision on my part. Additionally, when I am part of a committee planning VR meets in Canada and hear that members will not travel here because they cannot carry personal protection, I would argue that it is a valuable discussion to have.

If anyone thinks I have an "agenda", it is simply one of understanding my friends and the values of an organization that I participate and pay dues in. And that IS motorcycle related.

Thank you for your PMs, I appreciate it.

Here is my apology:

I confess that I never look at the "forum topic" of the threads I open and respond to. I make my decision on opening a thread simply by resting the mouse on the poster's opening line to read what the preview window opens up. I sincerely had no idea that this post was under Inspirational, Prayers...until 2 minutes ago, and that VR members, understandably, would be sensitive to me pursuing personal concerns about issues connected to a wider topic.

At the same time of my posts in VR I was online in other educator forums, where we were posting sympathies and dealing with our own personal shock and anger as educators who just lost 6 members in such a senseless tragedy. It is a very emotional time for me and my colleagues, (admittedly keying many posts through my own tears over the last couple of days), and I hope VR members will understand how closely these tragedies impact me especially:

* given that I have been in countless lock down drills where SWAT police are running through the halls knocking on my classroom door testing my knowledge of the policy by not answering the door,

** given the stress that I've had to deal with possible job discipline resulting from these drills when students do not take these drills seriously,

*** given that as a teacher union executive member, just last week, we've had to deal with a teacher discipline issue resulting from a REAL lockdown at a sister school in the same city I work, where a teacher member got in trouble for FOLLOWING the policy by NOT answering the SWAT officer's banging at the door, when in fact the SWAT officer needed to get inside the classroom!

Regardless, I sincerely apologize for offending any VR member with the content of my posts. That was certainly NOT my intention.

I thank VR members for their understanding and patience during this time of tragedy especially for us educators who feel so helpless and angry at the moment.

On behalf of educators, I'd like to express my appreciation to VR members for any sympathies they have expressed. Many of us are traumatized and we will have to walk into work Monday morning and deal with our emotions and carry on under the guise of strength that might not really exist.

Once again, I am sorry and I thank VR members for being honest with me.

Swifty

My apology as well to any member who were offended by my posts. As much as I wanted the thread to stay on topic I responded to comments from other posters.

When I come on VR.org I sort choose "Today's Posts" and did not see that it was under Prayers.

May every member of VR.org have a safe and happy Christmas. Say a prayer for the children that have been lost.