IGNORED

Where oh where has my clutch(brake) fluid gone!

sarges46

While putting the bike away for its yearly rest....darn winter anyway! I noticed that my clutch fluid is gone again. This happened in Prince Edward Island this summer after the International.

I cannot find any spots where this stuff is disappearing to!

Just for tips

I did change the clutch plates and spring while at the International.

Can someone shine a light on in this dark room inside my head!

Could be in the cluch slave cylinder. It's located on the left side of the bike behind the middle gear cover (back cover on the left side). You can see into that area with a bright flash light. You might clean the area up with brake cleaner and then spray foot powder in that area and watch for leaks.

Hey Rick,

Your Clutch Fluid is passing by the seal in the clutch slave. The body of the clutch slave will hold just about 2 fillings of the Master Cylinder before it starts to dribble out on the ground. Because the slave is in such a hard place to get to, I suggest that you replace it with a new one. I'm not sayin' I have never seen a rebuild of the slave hold, but I am sayin' that many times I have seen a rebuild fail. Then you would be out the time it took for the removal and rebuild, the cost of the rebuild kit, and you would STILL have to buy a new slave cylinder! (feelin' lucky?!?!) If the inside bore of the slave is pitted from exposure to moisture in the clutch system, (not changing the clutch fluid yearly) then new seals will NOT solve the problem. The inside bore can be VERY lightly honed during a rebuild, (deglazed) but if you enlarge the size of the bore to remove the pitting, then the new seals will leak anyway. (bore diameter too big) If you have the hands of a 10 year old boy, then the replacement will be a snap. On the other hand, if your nick name is "meat hooks", then you are gonna' wish you flushed that clutch fluid more often when all is said and done. I usually keep a clutch slave in stock, (had at least one before the move) I can't swear that I can put my hands on it in the new shop at this moment. But if I can't, I can order a new one for you easy enough.

I can also order the rebuild kit, if you would like to "roll the dice".

If you have other questions, or would like help with parts, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with this project,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks guys! Earl, I will look at getting one down the road. We will be travelling south this winter for a week and I usually bring back parts when we come home.

This will not be repaired now until spring as the bike is tucked away. I have no garage just a shed so nothing gets done until the white stuff is gone now.

I have been searching for the part to get a look see at the cost but I can't seem to find such a beast! can you give me a part number or another name it goes by.

Edited by sarges46