IGNORED

Rear end HELP!!!

OK first of all this site rocks. Since I bought my 85 Venture I have found most everything I needed to know here. But I have a rear end issue that I'm sure is common. I was going to replace the gear oil in the rear end. Book says .3 of a liter or 300ml. Get a measuring cup just to see how much drains out. Get my allen head sockets and 19mm socket for the drain and sit on the floor. The fill cap on the rear, about half way up looks a little knarly but the metric allen slides in sorta tight. Give a pull with the ratchet and around it comes....ta da stripped.....I assume this should not be this tight. Tried the SAE a little bigger and tapped it in with a hammer...no good.

Is there a easy fix for this? I could drill it out and save the threads and get a new cap. Only worry is that the filings would fall down inside!! Not good! As always looking to fix the most economical. But if I need to go to the dealer I will.

Thanks everybody!! :fingers-crossed-emo

Yep, #40 is just the cap for the plug to keep grit out.

Best to do this when the drive is heated from running..... but since you are alreadly there.....

If you can get any bite at all with the SAE I'd get after it with a hand impact driver to break it loose. If the SAE don't bite I'd try a Torx bit and drive it in and try the hand impact again. I've saved a few headaches with the Torx bits. Gets a lil more bite when the holes are rounded out.

I like to work the hand impact back and forth both ways to work it loose until it starts to move.

Of course, the rust buster treatment might help ya along to.

I wouldn't worry about how much comes out of the drive. It may be low already. You can fill the drive all the way to the bottom of the fill hole and that will be fine.

Mike

# 40 should be a plastic cap insert to keep the dust dirt and grease out you may need to get get a ease out tool (reverse drill bit) and a impact driver to get it out with a little heat from a torch to persuade it once out replace with a new one me i would replace both top and bottom plug bolts