IGNORED

1984 venture royale won't start

I heard about this forum from the gentleman i purchased my bike from a year ago. it has been such a good bike I've had no issues so I spent my time riding instead of logging on. I do have an issue that came up today. I have a fully charged batter, fuses all check out, ground appear to be in place but I have NOTHING when i turn the key. it ran fine yesterday. help anyone!!

Update: after taking off a bunch of plastic and removing the radio, i found a broken switch. not sure what it is, want to order a new one. it is a switch that attaches to the main buss fuse and is mounted inside the radio compartment. it has a knob that you push/pull to make something work. after i put the switch pieces back together, i now have power. it doesn't look like the kill switch (1NL-82501-00-00) that the yamaha dealer suggested. any guesses out there. help!!!! thanks for your time and input.

final solution: I figured out the switch mystery. A previous owner put in an anti-theft switch. I found a perfect match at O'Reilly auto parts. A 75-amp push/pull switch. I'm going to get a new one and replace the one I reassembled previously. Thank you to all who gave me possible solutions.

Edited by sebringjim
updating situation/ solution

Does it still have the original fuse block with the glass fuses.

If so this is a known issue that the fuse clips loose their tension and do not make good contact with the fuse. So even though the fuse id good it still has no connection.

Grounds may be in place but are they a good connection? take them apart and clean them up nice and shiny. Same with the battery terminals.

Does it still have the original fuse block with the glass fuses.

If so this is a known issue that the fuse clips loose their tension and do not make good contact with the fuse. So even though the fuse id good it still has no connection.

Grounds may be in place but are they a good connection? take them apart and clean them up nice and shiny. Same with the battery terminals.

This is true! I just had an issue with my fuse holder for my headlight. Changed out the fuse box to a double fuse block I got from a local speed shop. The fuse holder/connector went bad while the fuse was fine.

Also are you trying with the kickstand up ?

Have you checked the big main fuse just off the battery on the red lead?

When you say "nothing" do you have lights or anything or does the starter just not turn over?

absolutely nothing, no lights, clicks or anything. i also took the main fuse block apart and cleaned of some corrosion caused by its location next to the battery.

Edited by sebringjim

check kickstand switch and see if it disappears from your computer display when it is up. you may have a problem with the switch. ALso have the bike in neutral with clutch pulled in. Maybe take the kickstand switch off and clean it up and check operation.

I rememebr seeing this posted before and several troulbe shooting tips were in there, but I cant find the thread right now.

Brian

If you are getting absolutely nothing, no lights no radio no cranking no dash display, then it is not a bad safety switch somewhere. It is a power problem.

Start by checking the main fuse.

Use a meter or test light to make sure there is power on both sides of the main fuse (with the fuse in of course)

Disconnect and clean both battery terminals.

Disconnect and clean the ground connection.

Check for power at each of the fuses, don't probe the fuse itself, probe the actual wire on both sides of the fuse.

Once we know the results of this then we can take you to the next step.