IGNORED

viedo showing proper use of handlebar pressure

CaptainJoe

The method is known as "counter-steering" and you can teach yourself how to master this very easily by doing slow speed circles and figure 8's in a large parking lot.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez de "Ride Like A Pro" video has a lot to offer on handling ANY motorcycle.

BoomerCPO: "The method is known as "counter-steering" and you can teach yourself how to master this very easily by doing slow speed circles and figure 8's in a large parking lot.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez de "Ride Like A Pro" video has a lot to offer on handling ANY motorcycle. "

Thanks Boomer, thats what i am looking for.

I looked under counter steering and couldn't find it either.

Theres a young lady a neighbor of mine and I loaned her my ride like a pro and wanted her to also watch the link one of our members posted here no more than 2 months ago. It was a short video that proved counter steering worked that leaning was ineffective...

guess I'll keep looking :confused24:

Before I bought my first bike, I took a motorcycle riding course. I knew nothing about riding but wanted to. Being a coward, I thought I should get some instruction first. The course was 24 hours long spread over 3 weekends.

One of the first things they drilled into us is counter steering. It worked then and it works now. The instructor explained that it is the way we instinctively ride a bike...but don't realise it. If you pay attention to how you steer a bike, you will realise that you control it by counter steering.

When I got to that course, I barely knew which way to sit. To pass, you have to run an obstacle course which includes, riding over curbs, tires, a teeter totter, ramps, emergency braking, gravel, wet roads and emergency maneuvering. The last one is where you really 'get it' about counter steering.

I totally recommend it...it taught me techniques I use today...and it has probably saved my bacon a time or two.

This happened a couple of years after the course. While riding at night, my buddy was riding about 100 or so feet in front. I saw something flash by his bike. I saw a lump in the road right in front of me...all I had time to do was get up on the pegs then I hit a bloody huge dead porcupine. My friend said all he saw was my light go up then disappear. I had both wheels in the air...at highway speeds...at night...while riding what is probably the crappiest bike ever made...a Yamaha XS750 Special.

Without the course, I no doubt would have done something stupid and potentially fatal like slam on the brakes or death grip the bars or who knows what? Instead, I got the balls of my feet on the pegs, stood up just a bit and landed safely....which allowed my to park the bike and examine it properly. It was fine except for dozens of quills stuck in both tires.

If I had just gotten on a bike and tried to learn as I went along, I would never have had the confidence or reflexes to survive that like I did. One reason is that i never would have tried the things I learned in the course.

Up here in Canadia, there's the extra bonus of a discount on insurance after earning a pass.

The biggest problem with people learning counter steering is the direction to push. They think they have to push down. That's not correct. You push forward on the bar in the direction you want to turn. Totally incorrect in most people's minds at the time as it would be like steering the wrong way with a car.

Here's a good one for a passenger to watch. Guys, you'll like this one too. Just try not to get to excited!

Bill

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5P5BxpJGxM&feature=player_embedded]Motorcycle Lesson: 2Up riding - Safe way of carrying a passenger on a Sportbike - YouTube[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to sound uppity and don't consider myself an expert rider or anything but these videos and long drawn out explanations on how to use counter steering kinda make me chuckle.

I guarantee that anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle over about 15 klicks per hour (just picking a number here so don't quote me on that part) HAS used counter steering. Many have done it without realizing.

I challenge anyone to steer a bike which is moving even at lower speeds without using counter steer...it's as natural as breathing. You don't have to think about it to be doing it.

When a buddy explained counter steer to me about 30 years ago I thought he was full of __it. Then I got on my bike and realized when I consciously used this method that I indeed had been using counter steer all the time...I tried turning the bars to move the front wheel in the direction of the turn and the OPPOSITE happened. It's simple physics...the gyroscopic effect on the front wheel makes it want to lay down in the direction opposite to that of the handle bar.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest, I feel better.

Edited by Yamamike