IGNORED

Air Vents

kevin5549

First the story: I was riding home yesterday afternoon and it was hot. I reach up on the dash of the 93 super fast blue bike and open the vents. Nothing changes so i put my hand up next to the vent and no air is coming out of either side.

The Questions: Is air supposed to come out the vents? How in the world do you get them to stay open? Finally does anyone really know how fast the blue bikes go? :stickpoke::rotf::confused24:

:7_6_3[1]:

Very little air moves through the dash vents. Their intake is that small scoop under the headlamp - not a whole lot of air moving through there.

A couple weeks ago I blocked the vents at my shins open. A surprising amount of air moves through them.

Very little air moves through the dash vents. Their intake is that small scoop under the headlamp - not a whole lot of air moving through there.

A couple weeks ago I blocked the vents at my shins open. A surprising amount of air moves through them.

sign%20yeah%20that.gif I wound up completely removing the dash ductwork because those vents are all but useless. More room to work with in there, less rattles, etc. The only way I could see them being more effective is if you made a much bigger intake scoop under the nose. If I were going to go through the trouble of fabbing up extra plastic work for air management, it surely would be to direct more air toward the radiator and engine block instead.

+1 on the leg/shin vents being useful- I've also blocked mine open (with vacuum caps).

One of the things I've been thinking about is trying to fab up some ducts for the side panels- something that would allow the shin vents to direct air right into the side panel (like a hood scoop on a car, almost) and blow that cool air over the rear cyl bank and rear header area.

Thanks for the info. I may remove the dash vents and make cubby holes out of them. KIC how did you block them open with caps. Maybe send a pic? Thanks Kevin:bowdown:

I have removed all the duct work associated with the vents on the dash. Surprisingly you will get reasonable air flow through them without all the duct. You might want to try that 1st before you try to make cubby holes out of them...

:2cents:

Anything just big enough to wedge in between the vanes will work.

A paper clip works too...you just stick it on the one of the hinges in a horizontal position. Pics to follow.

Edited by Yamamike
add photo

That radar detector is not a bad idea. So do you have to pull the faring to get the duct work out. I haven't really looked up in there yet been to busy riding.

I still have the duct work in place and it helps hold the radar detector in place. I also have the power source on a switch so I can turn it off easily if I want to. It works well through the plastic fairing and I can hear it at highway speeds.

RandyA