IGNORED

Cheap alternative to Corbin backrest?

DocO

So I snagged a used Corbin 1 piece seat on eBay (got a GREAT DEAL).. but it comes without backrests. Looking on Corbin's site, the backrests are like $250!! So I did some digging around, and I found this company that sells backrests that supposedly mount on the Corbin seats.. anyone heard of or had one of these?

http://www.harrisonspecialtiesstore.com/servlet/the-27/Corbin-Seat-Drivers-Motorcycle/Detail

This backrest is 1 inch taller and wider than the standard Corbin backrest.. very tempting for the $$ but thought it might be wise to check here first.

Thanks!

Doc

Looks fine to me but it's the first I've heard or seen of them so I can't comment on the quality. For the price, it sure looks like it would be worth a try. I assume that you seat DOES have the hole for the backrest to slide into? Some of the early Corbin seats for the RSV did not have the hole.

So I snagged a used Corbin 1 piece seat on eBay (got a GREAT DEAL).. but it comes without backrests. Looking on Corbin's site, the backrests are like $250!! So I did some digging around, and I found this company that sells backrests that supposedly mount on the Corbin seats.. anyone heard of or had one of these?

http://www.harrisonspecialtiesstore.com/servlet/the-27/Corbin-Seat-Drivers-Motorcycle/Detail

This backrest is 1 inch taller and wider than the standard Corbin backrest.. very tempting for the $$ but thought it might be wise to check here first.

Thanks!

Doc

I would suggest you ride it with the new Corbin seat for awhile before you buy. I always had a backrest on my RSTD and now my RSV. Then I got a Corbin without. The way the Corbin is made and sits you I found I don't even miss the backrest. Matter of fact I think it might be uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies everybody.. Yes, this seat does have the hole for the backrest, the guy selling just didn't have them. Here's the auction - http://tinyurl.com/ytpygr I am going to hold off on getting the backrest for now.. the seat back may be high enough where I won't feel like I'll need it. Some of the backrests on ebay are where I found this company (Harrison Specialties, check out the store names on the listings).

Thanks

Doc

Search for "Corbin (backrest, back rest)" on ebay and you'll find all kinds of less expensive alternatives. It's just a piece of 5/8" (I think) square steel stock, chromed or maybe stainless, with a pad stuck on top. Corbin does pocket of money when they sell a new backrest.

I took the stock yamaha back rest and ordered the back rest off ebay that fits on the trunk. I found the same color as my seat. I cut a piece of sheet metal that fit the back of the back rest and bolted it on then bolted it to the stock back rest. Now both of my back rest are the same. I looks great. I can't use it with a passenger but you are not susposed to use it with a passenger any way.