I was in need of a new Speedo and I found a whole dash assembly on an ebay auction that I won for $32.00. WOW cheap right?? Yeah I thought so too but there was one draw back. The speedo was a KPH speedo and not a MPH speedo. It was so cheap, I decided to go ahead and get it anyway with the thoughts of maybe switching out the face of the speedo with my old face so the MPH would be the larger numbers. I tried this and unfortunately, the Speedo is off by about 5-7 MPH when check via GPS. Looks for now that I'll have to put the original KPH face back on and just deal with looking at the smaller numbers for MPH.

My question is this, will this throw off the actual mileage of the bike (i rolled the dials of new speedo to match my mileage) even though I'll be driving following the MPH numbers on the dial. Just not sure if the mileage will tick by faster or slower since it's a KPH speedometer.

Also, is there a way to calibrate this speedometer to match my MPH dial and to have the odometer roll for mileage and not kilometers?

Thanks guys and gals!

Jay Hope

I have the opposite problem having acquired an american miles speedo for my kilometers canadian bike. I was hoping the gearing was accomplished in the drive gear at the wheel hub and was going to swap faces as you did, but apparently not. Perhaps we chould trade but shipping would be a barrier, although I could ship and receive from a u.s address nearby.

Coffeepot,

I thought (or was hoping) the exact same thing. I put my dail face on it and it's close to accurate but we went for a ride to my mothers house to say hi yesterday and clocked 50 miles and it's actually closer to 30. It seems the Odometer will always be off without changing the gearing inside the spedo and that doesn't look so easy. I would defianately be willing to "swap" with you. I'll pay shipping for mine you pay shipping for yours? Sounds like we have the answer to both our problems. The speedo works perfectly. I greased it up before I installed it and it seems to run very smooth. Give me a shout over PM or call me @ 678-977-8199. Thanks!

Jay

My 89 looks like it has a problem. It was pretty accurate when I first got it, but shortly there after developed the "Speedo Squeal" I disconnected it until I could take it apart and grease it. Now when I hit around 80 it reads 120. The upper speeds are when it goes crazy. I plan on taking my GPS out with it and figure out the variation.

Anybody else experienced this ? It looks like the squeal damaged the ability to read accurately. ??? :confused24:

Coffeepot,

I thought (or was hoping) the exact same thing. I put my dail face on it and it's close to accurate but we went for a ride to my mothers house to say hi yesterday and clocked 50 miles and it's actually closer to 30. It seems the Odometer will always be off without changing the gearing inside the spedo and that doesn't look so easy. I would defianately be willing to "swap" with you. I'll pay shipping for mine you pay shipping for yours? Sounds like we have the answer to both our problems. The speedo works perfectly. I greased it up before I installed it and it seems to run very smooth. Give me a shout over PM or call me @ 678-977-8199. Thanks!

Jay

PM sent a while back.