Just pull the outlet line off the petcock and put a separate drain tube onto the fitting; put other end into container of your choice and turn the petcock to reserve.

As for what sort of gas; you're not going to do any damage by running high octane through it- it just costs more to go up in fumes is all. If it's got ethanol in it (as most gas does these days) probably not a good idea to let it sit for an extended period; either ride it out or drain it out and then see if you can find stations in your vicinity that sell ethanol-free stuff.

Two easy ways. Remove the fuel line from the petcock and run another piece of line from there to a container. Or ......... remove the fuel line from the feed side of the fuel pump and drain from there.

Of course check the tank for rust before proceeding.

You don't need Hi Test. Good old regular will be fine BUT add a good dose of Sea Foam to the new gas and let it sit in the carb bowls over night then run the daylight out of it.

Mike

Just pull the outlet line off the petcock and put a separate drain tube onto the fitting; put other end into container of your choice and turn the petcock to reserve.

As for what sort of gas; you're not going to do any damage by running high octane through it- it just costs more to go up in fumes is all. If it's got ethanol in it (as most gas does these days) probably not a good idea to let it sit for an extended period; either ride it out or drain it out and then see if you can find stations in your vicinity that sell ethanol-free stuff.[/quote

Try your local bulk plant for non-ethanol gas. Ours recently started carrying it. Very few stations carry it down here.

Thanks guys I totaly forgot that the84 had a reserve, because I have a 2007 RSV now. I am just getting the 84 running smooth for selling, it was my first and if I had room and didn't mind a divorce I would be tempted to keep her, but you know wife doesn't mind one mistress but tow might be to much . Just saying.

RIDE SAFE and RIDE FREE

:322:

Thanks guys I totaly forgot that the84 had a reserve, because I have a 2007 RSV now. I am just getting the 84 running smooth for selling, it was my first and if I had room and didn't mind a divorce I would be tempted to keep her, but you know wife doesn't mind one mistress but tow might be to much . Just saying.

RIDE SAFE and RIDE FREE

:322:

My 2000 RSV has a reserve. Are you saying your '07 does not? I thought they all did right up to the latest version?

Andy

Be careful turning the reserve petcock. From what I have read in other posts, the petcock valve rod can stick/jam and can break if it hasn't been used a lot. Mine won't turn. I haven't gone in to see what the issue is, but just don't force it.