IGNORED

General battery question

Sideoftheroad

A battery such as ours with multiple cells is tied together internally in a series. Each cell produces 2 volts, therefore draining all cells equally. If you have 2 batteries wired parallel you have the same voltage as 1 but drain them both equally.

If you could use an example it might be easier to explain.

You are correct. Years ago when I worked for a power plant, a lot of our high voltage motors use 120V DC control. We had emergency battery backup for those control circuits. 60 LARGE 2 volt batteries wired in series to provide 120V DC backup power.

For my particular question I am referring to lipo batteries used by r/c modelers. I was trying to figure out how long a battery will last. I have a formula that is on a website that discusses lipo batteries. I thought I had it figured out except for 1 part. My assumption was that based on their formula was on how quickly it would last would be based on per cell. My thought was just multiply the formula answer by how many cells the battery has and that is how long the battery should last. I was wrong. Thanks for the info guys

In that case you're dealing with charge capacity (Amp-hours). The charge capacity divided by the current will give you the time to discharge. Multiple cells (in series) won't change the charge capacity but will increase the voltage of the battery (like Freebird's example). The higher voltage might cause the circuit to draw more current which would shorten the discharge time. Keep in mind the voltage drops as the battery discharges, sharply at the end, so you may not get use of the full charge capacity.