IGNORED

This will make you angry

Wolf

In Vancouver. A few years ago an East Indian was driving a dump truck towing a trailer. He was not qualified to be driving that rig. He plowed into some cars and killed someone. The judge let him off. Why? The poor man could not read English and the road signs confused him.

There are plenty of sentences that annoy the hell out of me but it isn't usually the fault of the law. Mostly it is the fault of the attorney or judges interpretation and implementation.

Those people do not always use either common sense or justice as a yardstick, they use their own agendas, and it's just wrong.

While we are on a Motorcycle Forum I will cite just one example.

A few years ago and Iron Butt rider got a speeding citation. It cost him $90. Nothing particularly unusual about that except that the offence was committed on the New Jersey Turnpike. The guy was doing 52mph in a 50mph zone .... at 4.00am.

When the cops use laws, whose only purpose is road safety, as a method of simply raising revenue, then that is a problem for us all.

We need those laws to keep us safe. We need people to obey them most of the time and the one thing that will make the roads more dangerous is the general public feeling that "safety" laws are just a means of revenue. It brings the law into disrepute and becomes "You against The Man!".

A few years ago and Iron Butt rider got a speeding citation. It cost him $90. Nothing particularly unusual about that except that the offence was committed on the New Jersey Turnpike. The guy was doing 52mph in a 50mph zone .... at 4.00am.

Was that you or did you read this somewhere? If the latter, could it be possible that what you read was only one view of a bigger picture? Could it be possible that at first, the LEO was just going to give the guy a warning but perhaps the guy got mouthy towards the LEO.... who then in turn decided to not give the "mouthy jerk" a break?

just throwing a different light on it is all..... meaning that what we hear or read may not reflect the full story.

In Vancouver. A few years ago an East Indian was driving a dump truck towing a trailer. He was not qualified to be driving that rig. He plowed into some cars and killed someone. The judge let him off. Why? The poor man could not read English and the road signs confused him.

...and chances are the East Indian community had an influence in that outcome.

Was that you or did you read this somewhere? If the latter, could it be possible that what you read was only one view of a bigger picture? Could it be possible that at first, the LEO was just going to give the guy a warning but perhaps the guy got mouthy towards the LEO.... who then in turn decided to not give the "mouthy jerk" a break?

just throwing a different light on it is all..... meaning that what we hear or read may not reflect the full story.

I quoted that story as simply one example. It wasn't me but the point is there are few circumstances I can think of where such tickets are valid from a safety point of view.

Officers should not cite motorists because they are pissed at them.

If that were the only story of it's kind then I would be rather more charitable. We all know that Cities and Counties use motoring fines to raise revenue. It's bad practise and it should stop.

Traffic speed cameras should only ever be used at accident black spots, and they should be highly visible and well publicised. They are there to cut down on accidents, not fine motorists.

Prevention is the key. It is vastly more effective than the cure.

I knew someone (not a friend, just knew him) that crossed a center line drunk and killed a motorcyclist. He never served any time, just lost his license for a few years.

A good friend of mine lost his son (a promising young man with a good job lined up, was 2 weeks away from graduating with honors from college, was happily married with is first child on the way) Coming home from school one afternoon when a stripper drove drunk into the wrong way on an interstate and he could not avoid her. She was a repeat DUI offender, drunk, and killed this wonderful young man (he was driving a car) and I think she got a couple years and probably didn't serve all of that.

For some reason, killing someone in a car just doesn't count like using a gun or hammer etc. I can understand if it is a true accident, but when someone is drunk, doesn't have license or insurance, and breaks other laws (leaving the scene) then they should be treated like the criminal they are.

As a former LEO I can honestly state that an Officer has the "discretion factor" when it comes to his actions at MV stops. This alone has a large impact on just what the Officer does.

Boomer....who sez more than one doofus he has pulled over has "talked" his way into something more than a mere verbal or written warning....and some even warranted having to wear special jewelry...ie: handcuffs.:whistling:

I've only been ticketed once for speeding, and even that shouldn't have stuck, but that's another story. I was driving through a series of S turns on a medium traffic road in the county here. Posted limit was 35mph, I was doing 40mph, State laws says anything up to 14 miles over the posted limit is a warning. This doofus of a deputy saw me as an easy target to ticket, he cut in front of the traffic that was behind me and nearly caused a pileup because he had been traveling westbound while I was going eastbound. When I realized he was coming after me I pulled over and politely waited for him to stop yelling at me about the near accident he caused. When it got to court the judge decided because he didn't have a clear line of sight I still had to pay court fees but nothing on my record. My CT yankee husband has said the Jersey turnpike is a revenue maker for the state, the toll booths are timed and if you arrived at the next booth under the time they say you are to arrive you get a speeding fine added at that stop.

Going through the Deas Island tunnel I got tagged for 62 in a 60 zone. I was used to it. At that time anyone driving a sports car was a prime target. In Vancouver I got tagged for 31 in a 30 zone. Even the cops admitted they had been told to target sports cars.