IGNORED

Carb Float Adjustment

The floats are too high on my 06 Venture. They measure .280" and I want to adjust to .340". I have searched thru a lot of threads, but have not found how to bend the little tab on the float for adjustment. Would someone please tell me how to do this without breaking something?

I would also like to thank everyone involved with the super tech articles that have made life a lot easier for me. Great Job!

You just push down on the tab with anything small, such as a small screwdriver, allen wrench, or even a pencil tip. If you bend it too far, use the small end of a tiny allen wrench to pull it back up.

When bending the tab, be sure to hold the float UP off the needle so you do not put any pressure on the valve while pressing on the tab.

Goose

That's a bit off. You sure you are not compressing the small spring in the needle? Very easy to do.
The floats on ALL 2nd gens are set VERY high from the factory, so his measurement does not surprise me. In fact, that is the typical measurement on an untouched carburetor when the needle plunger is not compressed (and .34 is the correct setting from the shop manual).

But is is always good to remind someone to verify the needle plunger is not depressed when checking/setting the floats.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Hey Goose!

What sort of improvement can one expect after adjusting the floats from 0.28 to 0.34? Will there be a noticable increase in power or fuel mileage?

Thanks!

No noticeable difference in power, but about a10% improvement in fuel economy.

Goose

There is a lot of work that seems daunting the first time you face it, but it really isn't very hard. See my tech article in the tech library, and plan about four hours. It can be done much quicker than that, but I wouldn't count on it the first time.

Goose

I did this to my carbs following Goose's excellent instructions, about three years ago, soon after I bought my 07.

I live at high elevation, above 5k feet, and most of my riding is between there and around 10k feet. Because of this, I figured it would help me more than some others to lean out the mixture this way.

As Goose says, I noticed no difference in the way the bike runs. But my average mpg went from 35-37 to 40. For three years I kept precise records of fuel use, so I'm very sure that my fuel efficiency improved by that much.

If I ride the bike at legal speeds at all times, keep it in higher rather than lower gears, never lug it by rolling on throttle too fast for what the motor can deliver, then I get a consistent 43 mpg on regular gas. That is warm weather riding, in winter it drops a bit.

I just wanted to report that I got the floats adjusted, installed larger pilot jets (4KM-14142-17) and set mixture screws at 2 1/4 turn out. Fired her up today for the first time and she's running like new. I have been battling the pilot circuit for a year now putting up with bogging at take off, having to leave choke on for a while in morning, popping on decel, and rpms not dropping back when shifting. Even had to increase idle adjustment to get it to 1000 for no apparent reason. Today I had to drop idle from 2000 rpms to 1000 rpms, no popping at all (plugged AIS years ago), no bogging when cold, the choke acts right, and running smooth. I have danced around pulling the carbs and tried everything else in the book. I did not find anything plugged or abnormal. Air box over #1 & 2 carbs may not have been seated good from previous work. Saw where someone else had te same problems and went to the larger pilot jets. Not sure what fixed her, but I hope this info helps at least one person. Follow Goose's instructions on removing the carbs and adjusting the floats. I've been afraid to ride much while she was not right, and now I feel like a kid with a new bike.

Thanks to all for help. Older than dirt and still learning.

It does not make sense to me that adjusting the floats would increase your MPG but I'm here to tell you that it does. I was getting about 40 MPG but after adjusting the floats to spec I now get 44MPG pretty consistently. I did not plug my AIS and with everything adjusting right you shouldn't have to.

I am also very happy with the way my bike runs and the gas mileage, makes me smile a lot when I ride the bike.

Like everyone else if I push it out on the 4 lanes the gas mileage really goes down.

Glad you got your bike running the way you like it.

BOO

I have only had my 2011 RSV since May of this year but I have not got less than 43 mpg. If I run the interstate it is around 43mpg and if I am running the country roads it is 47 - 49 mpg. Almost as good as my 2006 RK was getting. I am very pleased with the gas mileage on such a large comfortable bike.

Elliott

I just wanted to report that I got the floats adjusted, installed larger pilot jets (4KM-14142-17) and set mixture screws at 2 1/4 turn out. Fired her up today for the first time and she's running like new.

Lebkorg,

Where did you purchase your jets at?

I wished I could have gotten this done to my 06 rstd before I got rid of it. Sure would have been nice to get 40+ mpg and not the usual 35-37 mpg.

Riding style probably has a lot to do with it. "Conventional wisdom" with these RSTD/RSV drivetrains is that because A) this is a short-stroke, high-revving motor, engine rpm must be kept to the high side in order to achieve efficiency, and B) because 4th and 5th gears are overdrive, it is necessary to keep the bike in a lower rather than higher gear than might ordinarily be considered wise in other motorcycles for everyday traffic riding.

Going back to my 97 RSTD, which could barely pull itself down a straight line highway into a headwind in 5th gear, I got into the habit of riding around in 3d and 4th all the time. The only time I could ever feel good about 5th gear was downhill with a tailwind. The old RSTD with the coffe-can-size airbox was a slug. They're better now, with a much improved horsepower curve. It is no longer necessary to avoid 5th gear. The bike will ride just like any other normal machine, meaning it will pull fine in higher gears at lower speeds.

Once I started riding my RSV with traffic, staying to legal speeds, keeping the bike in higher gears and keeping a light hand on the throttle, my mileage jumped up to the mid-forties. So, I'll bet riding style is the more significant factor when it comes to fuel mileage.

ACE50,

I ordered the pilot jets from my local Yamaha dealer. I also ordered new plugs and scissor clips for carb vacuum ports. Their price was reasonable and they added them to a next day shipment at no cost to me. I only use them for parts and not for service. Here's the info off of the invoice;

PILOT JET (#17.5) PART# 4KM-14142-17-00 PRICE 3.99 EACH

BLIND PLUG # 16G-13569-00-00 PRICE 2.94

SCISSOR CLIP # 90467-10039-00 PRICE 2.25

Hope this helps.

PILOT JET (#17.5) PART# 4KM-14142-17-00 PRICE 3.99 EACH

BLIND PLUG # 16G-13569-00-00 PRICE 2.94

SCISSOR CLIP # 90467-10039-00 PRICE 2.25

Hope this helps.

Thanks. She's running so good now I don't when I'll tear into her again. Kinda spoiled me against my Sabre now. Lovin the V4 and exhaust note. Thinking about getting rid of the Sabre for a Magna V4.