IGNORED

Gas Tank, Weather

Dmnordin

I'm kinda bummed. :confused:

The biggest thing is that my gas tank started a slight rust last year when I did my 83/86 Frankenbike. I've been dealing with it all season. The rust dust in the fuel will accumulate in my carb bowls until there's enough to foul my carbs and they start running like crap. I'm sick of blowing & draining my carbs regularly. After I clean them out, my Venture runs like a raped ape! I did put a couple of filters in line just before the carbs, and that lasted quite a while. Ultimately I'm sure I'll need to pull the gas tank (UUuugh!!) and clean it out/coat it. I bought a fuel filter that will filter down to 10 microns and I'll probably be installing that today so I can ride for another month or two despite the cold temps. I did some research on the web, and I think the rust dust varies between 5 and 200 microns. We'll see how that goes.

My Vboost is totally awesome!

The weather is all gray. It's supposed to snow this weekend.

Down at the local Honda Powerhouse, there is a '98 Valkerie with 50K miles for 5 grand. I wish I had the money...I've always loved the Valkeries...

Doug

Been through that, got tired of it. I found this product and will use it again for other projects in the future. Best stuff I have ever used.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Been about two full seasons with this coating and the inside of the tank still looks and feels like a Thermos bottle. Tough stuff.

Prep is pretty simple as you not even need to remove all the rust completely. The expoxy bond to it even better than smooth steel.

Glass like coating.

:2cents:

Mike

You sound like I did.........just a few more miles......another month........a couple more rides. :bang head:

Until I was 30 miles from the house and she started gagging like a cat with a furball.

By the time I got home I was on full choke and running the revs to keep her alive. That was the end for me. Pulled the tank, carbs, fuel lines and fuel pump and cleaned everything.

The worst of it was the tank was rusting up badly but the reserve pick up tube screen was pretty much gone. So everything in the tank was dumping right into the fuel lines. I was clogged I tell ya!

Did the epoxy and changed lines. Cleaned out the carbs again, it is good practice but that gets old fast. The fuel filter in the pic has been on the bike for two full seasons now. Had no reason to change it but I wanted to see how it looked inside. Perfect.

It's nice not having to deal with the rust anymore.

If and when you get around to doing the tank coating with whatever you use, I have a set of blockoff plates I made to close off the fuel level sending unit hole and the petcock hole. PM me if you find the need to use them. They made it much easier and cleaner to do.

Mike

I put the Caswell Plating epoxy stuff in my auxiliary tank when I built it as a rust preventative. Good stuff that is. Its been 2 seasons now with it in there and no problems.

As you guys noted once you get rust inside its impossible to stop it unless you do a tank clean and sealing.

Larry