Has anyone had a problem with their radio not wanting to search for channels manually? Mine worked when I bought it last month, now when I hold the up/down button for longer than 2 seconds it just goes to the next preset station instead of searching for stations.

Thanks

Mongo

You need to split the front fairing. If you need help on this feel free to ask.

Standing in front, looking aft, on the left hand side, there is a bundle of "BLACK" wire connections. (4) bundles). Carefully pull one connector (male/ female) apart and spread a little dialectric grease over the female connector covering he holes. Then plug it back to gether. Do this to all 4 connectors (wont hurt) and by doing all 4 of them you will do the one that pertains to your radio and your radio should work correctly after that..common known problem with them...

I had to go back to my manual for this one and re-read the section on manually tuning stations after doing work on the bike over the winter.

Didn't make sense at first but what you need to do is hit the Select button until you go thru all the menu options until the radio frequency shows again. Then hit the up/down button for less than a second at a time to find your station. Then hit and hold Select for two seconds (or more) until the preset number flashes. Use the up/down to select which preset to savit it as.

I'm thinking Eck may be right.

I don't remember having this problem last summer, but I just did the R&R on my forks and neck bearing and when I went to reset all of my radio stations the manual tune didn't want to work.

Every electrical connection behind the fairing was dry, tight and in great shape so I didn't see a need to grease any of them when I put everything back together. Now, with Ecks post, I'm wondering if I did get them all together good.

All of the other functions are OK, so I think it's a long shot but it is the only thing that's changed from last year. On the other hand, I rarely ever tune stations manually other than to set the presets so it could have been malfunctioning for a while.

Looks like I'll probably split the fairing, again. :95:

...I'll probably split the fairing, again.

If the buttons work for all other functions then it isn't a loose connector. For the controller the buttons are built in and don't require external connections other than for power, sound, antenna, cd, aux, and cassette. If you can use the up/down to go from preset to preset then it isn't the connections. I still think it is in how user friendly or intuitive the functions are (or not).

Yea, it could just be that with the cold weather and my cement block garage that holds the cold, my buttons are sticky. I'll definetly mess with it more before I tear down the fairing again and post my result.

There is some good info in this discussion. :fatsmiley:

Yes, most likely it's the COLD doing causing that problem.. I recently reset all my channel after winter maintenance in a heated garage but on a recent cold weather run outside my local area I wasn't able to scan the channel to pick up the local stations.. it just kept going to next number, not scanning.. Got home, tried it again in the heated garage and no probs.

If you do my suggestion, you can rest assured you at minimum, eliminated that possibility of being your problem, and in doing so you also sealed all the connectors from moisture.

This may, or may not be the cure to your problem, but it is a simple task well worth doing, and will do nothing but help improve the electrical contact durability of your bike.

I scrolled thru the functions with the select button and then I could manually tune the stations. Weird.......Thanks All.

Intuitive menu isn't it? I've found that holding the Select button after selecting the station doesn't always take right away as well. You have to have the station tuned for a second before hitting Select to save it.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I got to thinking about how the radio control functions. The need to scroll thru the control functions before you are able to manually scan the frequency makes perfect sense and IS the proper operation of the radio controller.

In the normal radio mode there are two functions to the up/down rocker. Pushing the button (either up or down) for less than a second changes to the next preset station. Pushing the button for longer than two seconds seeks the next STRONG station.

That's it. Those are the only two functions possible from the rocker in normal mode, push for less than one second and more than two seconds.

Now if you want to add another function to the up/down rocker you have to take the radio out of its normal radio mode, that's where the need to scroll thru the functions comes in.

Doing that puts the radio in "manual" mode and allows you to use the up/down rocker for another function. Then the radio can take itself back to normal mode and return the rocker to its normal two functions.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the valuable infor. It appeared to be the basic problem of not cycling through the select sequence before trying to manually tune the radio. I figured it out by messing with it and realized in my haste to do it while riding I had not set it up for success. Lesson learned. The two firesticks are also working great for both CB and radio. Very happy I made that upgrade.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Mongo

The venture radio is a great system, but-----its not for old people.:yikes: Old people you say? I know, no one is old on here but lets put it this way; when you get "long in the tooth" your memory ain't quite as good. ;) And when you have to remember all these sequences and stuff, ya just can't always remember when your trying to pilot the monster, right. Then you have to go dig out the manual and do a refresher and it gets to be a pain. Now that ain't Ventures fault, but you can make things "old people friendly", right? :bawling:OK, that wa a lot of words for nothing! I still don't want to change a thing about the the RSV, well maybe except--------------. Can I get an 8-trac. :crackup:

As a matter of fact mine is on Aux most of the time also. I have two mp3's loaded, one with 1500 songs and one with 4000. One runs 14 hours on a charge and the other 28 hours. Life is good, don't use XM since I can't listen too all my stuff now in a month of travel. BUT--- then there is the CB and Squelch and buttons to push and knobs to turn or blow your ears out:crying:. Life is so confusing and its all so complicated and theres all these decisions. OH gawd, help me. I need my meds. :bawling::mad: