IGNORED

The Story of Stuff

Trader

This lady has a series of videos that are a real eye opener!

This one is about 20 min...but I highly recommend it for anyone who might care about the world we live in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8]YouTube - Story of Stuff, Full Version; How Things Work, About Stuff[/ame]

:thumbsup:

There are several others....The Story of Bottled Water, Electronics, Cosmetics, and one on Cap and Trade

I do what I can, but I'm just scratching the surface and there is always room for improvement.

I have strong religious belefs concerning the future, but without getting political, or religious I'd encourage discussion on this topic.

Edited by Freebird

Wow!

Sorry about that! I really didn't think it was political at all!

Did you even look at the video????

I understand that some folks could try to MAKE it political.......some people could make a Sunday Picnic into a religious or politcal situation.....

BUT this video is NOT political in the least!

It speaks of "Government" without any party or even national predjiduce...so where is the politics?

The message is simply the causes of pollution, and education about the world situation and what we can do about it.

North Americal is without any question one of the worst offenders in the misuse of "stuff"

We can continue what we are doing....bury our heads in the sand or even refuse to talk about it.....but that won't help.

WE HAVE TO LEARN from videos such as this and CHANGE OUR WAYS!

Otherwise we will just keep sliding into the muck....

For those who wish to see the video series...just google "the story of stuff" and you'll find it.

Freebird...I think you are doing us all a dis-service by deleting this video!

:thumbdown::sign brain fart:

Well, I think that after running this site for almost 7 years now, I have a pretty good sense of what will turn nasty fairly quickly. I know also though that I'm not perfect and do make mistakes.

I have restored the video in your first post and we'll see how it goes. If it DOES go the way that I expect it will, the entire thread will be deleted. I hope that I am proven wrong.

Thanks Freebird for opening the video. First thing I thought of was cell phones, seems every other month a "new" best ever cell phone comes out. I must be doing my part because everything I own is older then the hills. LOL. Very informative.

My problem was not with the majority of the content and I agree with some of what is said in the video. Some of the so called "facts" can certainly be disputed but the overall message is one of common sense. The worry I had about it turning political was based upon where the video came from. You simply can't post ANYTHING that originates from the Tides Foundation and then say that it's not political. Anybody who knows anything about them knows better.

I do my part all I can. It is hard though because everything seems to be against you when you try to not waste. I do still drive my 20 year old truck and see no reason to trade it or my bike as long as they both serve the purpose. My wife drives a 12 year old car and my son is driving his 22 year old Honda Accord. I use evrthing I own until it is used up and if I do have to get rid of something I take it to a Goodwill so someone else can get some good out of it. I am a firm believer in not buying new just because it is new. I buy recycled auto and bike parts as much as I can and buy clothes at the thrift stores. I don't know how much of it is saving the planet and how much is that I am poor and cheap.:confused24:

"you simply can't post ANYTHING that originates from the Tides Foundation and then say that it's not political. Anybody who knows anything about them knows better.":amen:

I'm glad someone else knows about the Tides Foundation. I was just waiting. The video is very much anti capitalism.

Thanks Freebird.

Rick A.:thumbsup2:

Thanks for restoring it Don!

You are right about my not knowing anything about the Tide Foundation...I have never heard of them.

I guess some could argue that the message is political in that it is anti-capitalism.

But no matter what political system you may believe in, Buying "stuff" is what the world economy is based on.

I think the message we need to get is what is the real cost of the stuff we buy. The cost of disposal, pollution etc.

If we all stopped buying stuff, world economy would probably collapse...and other than my religious beliefs I don't have any other answers.

But it sure was an eye opener!!

First thing I thought of was cell phones, seems every other month a "new" best ever cell phone comes out.

If you open the video in YouTube you can see the other video's of the series....Check out the one about electronic stuff!