IGNORED

Converting video to photos

Aimhigh

On our trip to Big Bend we took some photos, but did not notice that the photo selector was on "video". The videos are very short. I would like to somehow save them as individual photos so I can salvage the original target. Would appreciate any information on how to do so.

Guest tx2sturgis

Most any free video editing software can do this, (Windows Movie Maker or iMovie for Mac)) or if you only need a few frames captured, depending on your requirements for resolution and such, there are some screen capture utilities. If you are using a Mac, there is a built-in screen capture app. The Windows guys might be able to help you if your using Windows.

Be aware that unless you had your video resolution set to anything other than very high, the pictures that you capture may be somewhat less resolution than the original video...this is due to the video compression used on-the-fly during recording. Still, capturing the video frames is certainly better than not having the pictures at all.

Edited by tx2sturgis

If you have access to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 it does this very well. Using the Import function from the drop down menu and choose the "Frame from Video" you can load and view the video and freeze it to select a frame to make a photo from. From there you can crop and resize as you like.

I think a lot of Windows XP units have the program bundled with the software. That was how I came across it. Good program. I use this for a lot of the pics I post on the site.

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis
Wow. Adobe Photoshop TWO.

QUOTE]

Hey! I use a lot of vintage stuff. Photoshop TWO, dial-up, and '84 Venture........:big-grin-emoticon:

If it works.........:stirthepot:

Well I loved the early versions of Adobe Photoshop, but some of them cant be run under the newer OS'es....and likely would take Aimhigh longer to get working on a modern OS using compatibility work-arounds than to just have someone help him get it done locally or over the internet. And Windows Movie Maker is included in XP...and available on the Microsoft website. If he had a Mac, there is an included app called Grab, that can do it with just a few clicks.

For a simple solution, he could either play them locally on his screen and use a screen grabber, or....upload them to youtube or vimeo and then capture the screen shots during a pause of the video.

Guest tx2sturgis
Wow. Adobe Photoshop TWO.

QUOTE]

Hey! I use a lot of vintage stuff. Photoshop TWO, dial-up, and '84 Venture........:big-grin-emoticon:

If it works.........:stirthepot:

Well I loved the early versions of Adobe Photoshop, (before the bloat) but some of them cant be run under the newer OS'es....and likely would take Aimhigh longer to get working on a modern OS using compatibility work-arounds than to just have someone help him get it done locally or over the internet. And Windows Movie Maker is included in XP...and available on the Microsoft website. If he had a Mac, there is an included app called Grab, that can do it with just a few clicks.

For a simple solution, he could either play them locally on his screen and use a screen grabber, or....upload them to youtube or vimeo and then capture the screen shots during a pause of the video.

Don't need to install any programs. Just play in Windows Media Player (full screen). When the part you want comes up. Press and hold control and press print screen (prt sc).

Open paint and click paste, then save it as .jpg

Don't need to install any programs. Just play in Windows Media Player (full screen). When the part you want comes up. Press and hold control and press print screen (prt sc).

Using Vista Home.....I tried that and it did nothing! Tried it with F-lock on and off.

Specifically what does Ctrl do?

Normally one would either use Print Screen by itself or in conjunction with Alt. By itself, it captures the entire screen and with Alt, it captures the active window. If you run the vid in full screen, the quality may be compromised as it may be running in a larger window than it's designed for.