IGNORED

After seeing Eck's Cooler Carrier

Midrsv

My wife said we had to have one. She saw it at Vogel last year and it's only taken me nearly a year to get it done. I had a friend that welded it up for me and I was ready to spray it with black Krylon that I had on hand and she said "Oh NO!, that needs to be chromed". So it is. Don't you just love a wife that appreciates safety chrome!

Dennis

Now you need to get some high-mounted turn signals in the rear. I can just see some doofus claiming he didn't see your signals.....

Joe, you can actually see the turn signals pretty well as they are. And the light bar under the trunk provides adequate tail and brake lights.

There is probably some law about covering the license plate though.

Dennis

Guest scarylarry
Now you need to get some high-mounted turn signals in the rear. I can just see some doofus claiming he didn't see your signals.....

He could mount a light bar on the back of the rack with a pig tail to trailer plug, get the wife to design it after all look at what came up with...

If anyne might be interested I have the rear frame piece that is removed when you install a hitch, might have two. Some folks have welded their hitch racks to these. I would let anyone that wants them have them for shipping. Just PM me, however I won't be able to send them till I'm back from vacation on 7/13.

Joe, you can actually see the turn signals pretty well as they are. And the light bar under the trunk provides adequate tail and brake lights.

There is probably some law about covering the license plate though.

Dennis

Well, in my not-so-humble opinion, the turn signals - in fact all of the stock lighting - on the RSV are inadequate even without a hitch rack. Actually, I'm rather paranoid about that....in the early 70's I was driving a Chevy suburban-type van on an interstate at 3 in the afternoon on a bright, sunny September day. I suddenly found myself flying around the inside of the vehicle.....an 18 wheeler rammed me from behind. Driver said he didn't see me. Did I mention that this was a state-owned vehicle that I was driving? Painted bright yellow? And I had my 4way flashers on too. Didn't matter.

All my riding buddies make fun of me because I'm constantly adding rear lighting. And every time I turn on my signals or slow down my attention immediately goes to my rear view mirrors....After all these years I'm still skittish about idiots behind me, even though statistics show that if I'm involved in a motorcycle collision it will likely be from the front. I just can't help it.

Dennis, just be sure that your cooler isn't distracting at all from someone focusing on your turn signals. I have a spare light bar that is yours for the asking if you want to mount it on your rack.

Joe

Edit: I should clarify....the RSV is not the only motorcycle that I feel has inadequate lighting. Almost all cruiser style bikes fit this category and most others too. I think the GL1500 Wing has the best stock rear lighting of any bike on the road, followed closely by the GL1800 lighting. For front lighting, the 1800 takes it hands down.

I just don't understand why bike manufacturers skimp on lighting. It is a crucial safety component IMO.

• 2 years later...

That looks good!

I've been thinking about the cooler rack on the back thingy, but, I have a small question. Is there a chance that exhaust fumes could seep into the cooler and contaminate the food contents and such that might be in there?

Just wondering.

That looks good!

I've been thinking about the cooler rack on the back thingy, but, I have a small question. Is there a chance that exhaust fumes could seep into the cooler and contaminate the food contents and such that might be in there?

Just wondering.

I guess that is a good question. We mainly used the cooler for drinks so I doubt there is any problem there since they are in sealed containers. If I were to carry any other foods that need to be kept cool I would probably have it in a zip lock type bag which would protect it. I would say it is a low risk, if at all.

Dennis

My wife said we had to have one. She saw it at Vogel last year and it's only taken me nearly a year to get it done. I had a friend that welded it up for me and I was ready to spray it with black Krylon that I had on hand and she said "Oh NO!, that needs to be chromed". So it is. Don't you just love a wife that appreciates safety chrome!

Dennis

:thumbsup2: Wanna make me one for the back of the trike. Can't get them here in Aussie land

After seeing Eck's Cooler Carrier:My wife said we had to have one. She saw it at Vogel last year and it's only taken me nearly a year to get it done. I had a friend that welded it up for me and I was ready to spray it with black Krylon that I had on hand and she said "Oh NO!, that needs to be chromed". So it is. Don't you just love a wife that appreciates safety chrome!

Here is a picture of the one I made that Valerie saw at Vogel.

(Now I wish I would have gotten mine chromed....:confused24:)

DSC02066.JPG