• Check the air in the tires.
  • Have the carbs syncronized, or learn how to do it yourself.
  • Change the oil and rear drive lube.
  • Find the best air pressure for the rear shock according to your riding style, then keep air in the shock.
  • Grease and lube everything according to the owners manual.
  • Since you've got the manual out, read and follow the maintenance schedule.
  • Go to the tech libraries on this site and read every article.
  • Ride it as often as possible, maybe a little more.
  • Don't do anything else until you POST SOME PICTURES.

Thanks for the info....I've only had it a few days so i only have one pic...it didnt come with the owners manual, so i'm in the dark for now, but i should have one within a week. It is a 2006 with 4100 miles

Thanks for the info....I've only had it a few days so i only have one pic...it didnt come with the owners manual, so i'm in the dark for now, but i should have one within a week. It is a 2006 with 4100 miles

Nice! I too have a 2006 RSTD, midnight. You'll find lots of help here. I also bought the service manual off eBay, but I think one is available here. Much more useful than the owner's manual.

I am attaching pages 3 and 4 of the service manual section 3, which outlines the schedule of services. 4000 miles is a regular service interval, and there is a lot to do. All this should also be done every 6 months.

Check the spark plugs

Check the crankcase ventilation system

Check the fuel line

Check the exhaust system

Check carburetor synchronization

Check the idle speed

Check the air filter

Check the cooling system

Check the brake system

Check the brake fluid

Check the clutch

Check the control cable

Check the brake / clutch lever pivot shaft

Check the brake pedal and shift pedal shaft

Check the sidestand pivot

Check the sidestand switch

Check the front fork

Check the steering bearings

Check the wheel bearings

Since you don't know much about the bike, you might want to buddy up with someone experienced in your area. I went to the dealer the first few times, to make sure the maintenance was caught up. IMO, sitting around is worse for a bike than riding a lot. If you don't know that it was ridden recently, you might think about that.

Welcome aboard!

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
removed fuel filter, oil, and oil filter

Great, Now I've got to go home and make sure my trailer is still there. That thing doesn't have Texas tags does it?

Nice looking bike. I've always liked the white ones. Hope you join the site. This is a great bunch of people here.

I see from your photo that the windshield and passenger back rest are both absent. These are the quick release parts that make the bike a "convertible" but also the parts that you're gonna want. Hopefully the previous owner didn't keep them.

I am attaching pages 3 and 4 of the service manual section 3, which outlines the schedule of services. 4000 miles is a regular service interval, and there is a lot to do. All this should also be done every 6 months.

. . .

Replace the engine oil

Replace the oil filter

. . .

Ahhammm take another look at those pages you attached, they say change the oil and oil filter every 8000 miles.

Ahhammm take another look at those pages you attached, they say change the oil and oil filter every 8000 miles.

Culpa mea. Glad I posted the pages so you could check. I see also that the fuel filter doesn't need replacement until 30K miles. I'll go edit my reply.

If you aren't sure that the oil and filter hasn't been changed in the last 6 months, it's time. Ditto with the fuel filter at 30 months.

When I got my RSTD, it was at least 24 months old and had only 2000 miles on the ODO. I didn't know what service had been performed, so there was a lot of catching up to do.

Dave

Culpa mea. Glad I posted the pages so you could check. I see also that the fuel filter doesn't need replacement until 30K miles. I'll go edit my reply.

If you aren't sure that the oil and filter hasn't been changed in the last 6 months, it's time. Ditto with the fuel filter at 30 months.

When I got my RSTD, it was at least 24 months old and had only 2000 miles on the ODO. I didn't know what service had been performed, so there was a lot of catching up to do.

Dave

What is really strange is, after looking at several Royal Star manuals, all say oil filter every 8000 miles, but some say oil every 8000, some say every 4000????

I do every 8000 but I use synthetic oil.