IGNORED

Cold weather pooching radio?

Cold weather riding with a Tall Wide Clearview, Buddy's knee wind deflectors and extra clothing makes for a fun ride.. near 32'F and 0'C today, high winds meh.. gotta get out when the going is good..

All works well but my radio decided to play silly bugger.. Here's what I experienced, and I am hoping it's really only because of the cold..

Riding down the road, the LCD panel would go out and come back on.. flicker.. stay on for a while and go off.. not bump related, not turn related.. just does it at odd times.. then it changed channels on it's own.. and of course its on that type of channel ya just hate to listen to but the controller won't let you change channels.. it's locked in on that one.. argh.. now what? Silence is golden after that.

However, I get the bike back into the heated garage and I cannot duplicate the problem.. argh.. Touch and yank and jiggle everything I can reach, bang on this pull on that and nothing.. it works all perfect.. Can't duplicate it in the garage..

On another note, I added speaker baffles behind the speakers recently and wow, I didn't think they would make that much of a difference.. but the sound is richer coming out of the speakers.. more dynamic.. not bad for 8 bucks a pair of foam baffles..

When I had my 2004 venture, I had my radio do the same thing,the dealer replaced the controler on the handle bar. That fixed it. Another time the radio quit again in a heavy rain,changed controler again.

Thank goodness for waranty Yamaha is sure proud of that piece ( very expensive)

Hope you find your problem Bob

When I had my 2004 venture, I had my radio do the same thing,the dealer replaced the controler on the handle bar. That fixed it. Another time the radio quit again in a heavy rain,changed controler again.

Thank goodness for waranty Yamaha is sure proud of that piece ( very expensive)

Hope you find your problem Bob

Hey hey in Sask.. I was in MJ 97-00

This is a replacement controller replaced last summer whilst getting my fuel problem repaired.. I was out in the garage just now changing fluids out of the rear diff and had the radio going, playing this doing the whole ringamarole thing but couldn't make it fail.. gees.

Hopefully it'll be sorted with the warmer weather.. =)

On another note, I added speaker baffles behind the speakers recently and wow, I didn't think they would make that much of a difference.. but the sound is richer coming out of the speakers.. more dynamic.. not bad for 8 bucks a pair of foam baffles..

Where did you get the baffles???

Where did you get the baffles???

237XT40 XTC 4" Speaker Baffles 3-7/8" depth

at http://www.crutchfield.ca/ (or .com)

They sell a slimmer version as well, which I think might actually fit a lot better but these I think make a better 'cup' behind the speaker, giving it more oomph? I dunno anything about the science of acoustics but I do know that the sound is much better while riding than it was last year.. nice..

Well, I just ordered two pairs right away as soon as I read this post. Should make my Polk Audio db425 coax speakers in my 07 RSV sound even better. What those cups are trying to do is enclose and limit the air space behind the speaker cone. This provides some resistance to the cone and dampens it from moving too freely. That smoothens the cone movements and keeps them from hitting the end stops.... (for those of us who turn em up!) Should make for deeper smoother bass....(I mean... bass... considering it is a 4 inch speaker!) and less distortion.

I was looking to do something like this on my own but this is going to be way easier.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Started my RSV up today!!! +4C and the snow is melting in Saskatoon :missingtooth:

Ron - Spaceman

Well, I just ordered two pairs right away as soon as I read this post. Should make my Polk Audio db425 coax speakers in my 07 RSV sound even better. What those cups are trying to do is enclose and limit the air space behind the speaker cone. This provides some resistance to the cone and dampens it from moving too freely. That smoothens the cone movements and keeps them from hitting the end stops.... (for those of us who turn em up!) Should make for deeper smoother bass....(I mean... bass... considering it is a 4 inch speaker!) and less distortion.

I was looking to do something like this on my own but this is going to be way easier.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Started my RSV up today!!! +4C and the snow is melting in Saskatoon

Ron - Spaceman

LOL +4 with 20 kph gusting 40 here today.. most snow gone after the other week's hurricane (don't ask, it's been a wild winter).. I did some helmet cam work during the ride.. kinda weird seeing the ice on the cliffs..

Sunday is better, +6 and 10 kph winds.. Ahh yeah..

Cold weather riding with a Tall Wide Clearview, Buddy's knee wind deflectors and extra clothing makes for a fun ride.. near 32'F and 0'C today, high winds meh.. gotta get out when the going is good..

All works well but my radio decided to play silly bugger.. Here's what I experienced, and I am hoping it's really only because of the cold..

Riding down the road, the LCD panel would go out and come back on.. flicker.. stay on for a while and go off.. not bump related, not turn related.. just does it at odd times.. then it changed channels on it's own.. and of course its on that type of channel ya just hate to listen to but the controller won't let you change channels.. it's locked in on that one.. argh.. now what? Silence is golden after that.

However, I get the bike back into the heated garage and I cannot duplicate the problem.. argh.. Touch and yank and jiggle everything I can reach, bang on this pull on that and nothing.. it works all perfect.. Can't duplicate it in the garage..

Mine does the same thing in cold weather

You will have to remove the rings for the rear

I just removed them from all of the speakers.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18228

Jeff

wow, now that's a pretty "installation" compared to mine which are press fitted against the back of the speakers.. Its not "pretty' by any means but it does make a difference.. I had seen your install for the rear speakers but I didn't want to tackle pulling the fronts apart like that.. Though perhaps next time I might.. Hmmm

Installed like I have mine, they sound good.. I would imagine installed properly they would sound superb!

Looks to me that you did a fine job on the fronts.

yep, it is pretty hard to get those to stay in there.

Just jammed them in there to cover up the speakers..

You see that white bracket, are your front holes 'empty' also? Found it odd to have a mounting hold with no mount or attachment.. Possible that this also fits another bike that does use those front mounts?

Notice the hole in the fairing frame as well right under it.. Mine

is apart and I am in the garage, with computer. and I am not sure

why there is not a bolt going through there as well. there is

a bolt on the back one though. :think:

Notice the hole in the fairing frame as well right under it.. Mine

is apart and I am in the garage, with computer. and I am not sure

why there is not a bolt going through there as well. there is

a bolt on the back one though. :think:

Prolly like I said, OEM part for another bike that might use it..

But on the GOOD side of things, been out riding all day long enjoying the tunes on the radio and not one problem.. so yesterdays mishaps with the radio might well have been due to the COLD !!

Sweet!

Yep, some weather, snow is melting though , I am thinking I should be able

to ride in a week or so. :D I also am on my

last mods on the Trike. waiting for parts this week.

So the timing is getting real close. I have add the bike

apart for almost 2 months now , doing all my winter stuff.

seaking

my radio did the same thing...replaced by yamaha, did the same thing...........from info on this site, i disconnected the connectors in the fairing, put dielectric grease in all of them...have not had a problem since....

Check your ground strap. One end on the left side of the radio and the other end under the right neck cover. I found the ground under the neck cover only finger tight and not making good contact. A little sanding paper and some dielectric grease. I could hear the difference in my radio.

Just finished the 100 watt EQ Mod with Duel ds-42 speakers front and rear with baffles. NICE.:guitarist 2:

gator06

seaking

my radio did the same thing...replaced by yamaha, did the same thing...........from info on this site, i disconnected the connectors in the fairing, put dielectric grease in all of them...have not had a problem since....

Aww crap, I knew I forgot something.. geese louise! LOL.. oh well next time I'll toss some in when I have it apart =)

Check your ground strap. One end on the left side of the radio and the other end under the right neck cover. I found the ground under the neck cover only finger tight and not making good contact. A little sanding paper and some dielectric grease. I could hear the difference in my radio.

Just finished the 100 watt EQ Mod with Duel ds-42 speakers front and rear with baffles. NICE. gator06

Ground strap? Never even thought of THAT.. of all the wiring issues this previously owned bike has gone through, I suppose I should check it..

What's this mod you refer to? Tell me more..

I had the helmet cam up on the helmet today and radio blaring and you can hear the radio a lot better.. One thing I noticed more with the baffles is that you can hear the thud thud or tap tap of the percussion better than before.. better quality sound. I'm impressed.

OK it's time for my :2cents:. First let me say that LCD's will only operate at specific temperature ranges. If to cold thay will look like there not on and can brake and if to hot will go totally black and brake also.

I have repaired many 2-way radios with bad displays do to the temperature thay operate in.

your station changing can also be contributed to temperature change. The VCO or oscillator's frequency can change with temperature changes. most oscillators have a built in heater for stabilisation of frequency but thay will only help to a point. if the out side temperature is to cold the internal heater cant keep up trying to stabilize the internal temperature of the device cosing the frequency to drift.

I have this problem with my microwave communications equipment on my truck. I keep my local oscillator at 112 degrees fahrenheit to maintain frequency and during the winter i have to keep it inside the cab of the truck to keep the outside of the units temperature above 45. having it out side of the truck the internal heaters cant keep up with the heat loss and the frequency starts to drift big time.

Keep in mind battery voltage is also affected by temperature also. voltage and temperature can have a big effect on your radio. when i have problems with temperature i ether add fans or blankets to keep it's temperature stable enough to hold frequency. I hope this helps you with your problem and why you cant duplicate it in the garage.

:farmer:

seaking

Cold weather should not directly affect this radio - I have ridden down into single digits without problem.

BUT - poor wire connections in the plugs inside the fairing are very common until they are reseated and coated with dielectric grease. When my bike was fairly new I had strange problems with the control head that were much worse when the temps were below freezing. The shop couldn't figure it out and ordered a new radio, but while I was waiting for it, I reseated all the plugs and put dielectric grease on them - not one single problem since then in 80,000 miles. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks KB and Goose.. Next time I have the fairing split I'll be doing the connections proper etc.. I had totally forgotten to do those before buttoning it up again..

However I have to say that the radio has been spot on since that initial day when it was very cold.. down to 32'F ambient.. But these last two days, albeit just a tad warmer, the radio has been rock solid.. go figure.

However, I will be doing the connectors as prescribed..

Thanks all

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Started my RSV up today!!! +4C and the snow is melting in Saskatoon :missingtooth:

Ron - Spaceman

I just read this post and went to go order a pair. They are out of stock now.

Any one know if these can be bought in a store here in Canada? My fairing is off now so would like to do it ASAP. Thanks

Greg