Hi guys, just joined your club. I live in the UK and have a '83 Venture std. It was imported from the states nearly 20 years ago. I've only had the bike a couple of months and its been great, love the old girl. No problems with 2nd gear yet (33000 on odo) but she's a slooooowww starter. Never let me down yet though. Question is would a new starter off a later model cure problem, pinwall cycles seem to have a few. I need to be sure as it costs more for shipping and import duties than for part. Other issue is speedo glass has hole in currently taped up, and speedo itself sometimes doesn't work for 3-4 miles then suddenly springs to life. Is this an easy fix? There's one on ebay off a '93 would this fit? Any advice gratefully received. If I get these 2 glitches sorted all I need to do is give her a coat of paint and she'll be good as new.

Welcome aboard! As far as the slow start, the first thing to do is upgrade your cables to a thicker gauge wire, and clean your contact points, especially the "earth" (ground for us yanks) connection. the solenoid contacts may also be getting bad, so a new startwe solenoid which is located on the side of the battery box, may be in order.

Starter motors from VMax and 2nd Gen RSV's will fit and have 4 brushes instead of 2. That's an upgrade that several members have done. Also, there are better baatteries to use that have a higher CCH figure than the standard lead/acid types. All these factors add something to the starting issues.

As far as the speedometer goes, a dash assembly for '84 up is physically different but else wise will bolt on. The difference is the LCD warning display and clock. I can't remember if the connectors are the same but I'm thinking they are, so it should be a plug and play installation.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at old posts concerning whether a newer instrument console will fit my 83 and Some say yay and some say nay. I'd like a definitive answer if possible. They sure look the same in photos, and I'd take a gamble but Its not just the 50 bucks to buy one off ebay, its the 40 odd bucks shipping and probably another 20-30 dollars for UK customs. Theres hardly anything on UK ebay so I've no choice but to import.

Hi guys, just joined your club. I live in the UK and have a '83 Venture std. It was imported from the states nearly 20 years ago. I've only had the bike a couple of months and its been great, love the old girl. No problems with 2nd gear yet (33000 on odo) but she's a slooooowww starter. Never let me down yet though. Question is would a new starter off a later model cure problem, pinwall cycles seem to have a few. I need to be sure as it costs more for shipping and import duties than for part. Other issue is speedo glass has hole in currently taped up, and speedo itself sometimes doesn't work for 3-4 miles then suddenly springs to life. Is this an easy fix? There's one on ebay off a '93 would this fit? Any advice gratefully received. If I get these 2 glitches sorted all I need to do is give her a coat of paint and she'll be good as new.

SELL THAT RELIC and get a second GEN ( blue is the best) :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Mmmm, that's confusing. Mines got gear indicator and trip computer. Suggests my bike might be a later model than it states on log book. Can year of manufacture be determined from chassis number? If so where can I locate this info? Would this fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350257182445&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Looks just like mine.

I would wait for a 83 consol. Shouldn't take long. There are some differences. I don't think 83 has gear selector for one.

That would be correct. It will bolt into place, and the speedo and tach will work, but the display is totally different and will NOT work.

Some of those guys wearing those, I would swear that they would have to grease them to get them on. YUK! This is why I wouldn't wear one. That and I couldn't come out of the water.:whistling:

If your real careful, you can drill a hole and install a grease zerk on those older speedo's. Since I did that to mine a couple years ago, it hasn't made a peep.