Hello all, I just got a 88 1300 Venture Royale and well.. all the gears work fine.. but when I put it into 5th gear it makes noise like something is loose and bouncing around in the gearcase. Is there something common I should know about? or am I going to have to pull the engine apart and rebuild my transmission? I hope not. I just traded two good working hondas for this yamaha. I do have to admit .. this is one nice riding and handling bike.. I also couldnt get the cruise control to work either..

Shawn

Shawn Pull the clutch cover off and look at the star shaped pin holder a common problem with these bikes is that one of the alignment pins like to come out on some of these bikes.What you will be looking at is items 6 7 and 8 of this index.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz13du-1988/o/m7882

Jeff

Yes if that is the problem it can be fixed without splitting the case I can post pics of what you will be looking at in the morning I have a parts motor that doesn't have the clutch basket on it in the shop.

Jeff

Cool, Thanks!

I am glad I found this site. always helps to talk to people that have experience. I really do hope its gonna be a repair I can do with the engine in the frame. I would like to get some riding in this summer yet. :) I dont think I invested too much in this bike, I traded a 1982 Honda CB 900 Custom full dressed and a 81 Honda CM 400 custom for it. both of them bikes were in really nice shape and road ready though. I had about $1800.00 into both of them bikes.

Whats the deal with the "5th anniversary" was that a special edition or did it say that on all of the 1988 models?

'88 was the 5th year and some of the bikes had a different tank emblem denoting that. I'm not sure it there was a 'special' color or not?? When you dig into the clutch to check things out, put the bike on the side stand and there's no need to drain the oil. It'll all run over to the left side of the case. It might be a good idea to pick up a gasket before opening it up. Good luck. Hope it's the star....

Here's the pics Jeff said he'd post for you. The star looking part with the five pins in it is what you're looking at. Make sure all pins are in place on your bike. And that the washers not bent up. You can call if you need anything else. 1-919-673-5095

Margaret

Well I had a chance to tear it apart yesterday. All of the pins look to be in their places and see nothing that looks broken or bent... :( so I guess this means I need to tear the engine out of the frame and split it now. Looking at the case it looks like it splits horizontally meaning possibly if I tip the engine over could I just take the bottom of the case off and not have to mess with tearing the entire engine apart? or will I have to tear the cylinders off and all that to get the case apart in order to service the transmission? :confused07:

Looking at the case it looks like it splits horizontally meaning possibly if I tip the engine over could I just take the bottom of the case off and not have to mess with tearing the entire engine apart?

Yup, flip it onto the valve covers & get started. The tech artical for 2nd gear repair is a good guide to use, for the tear down. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=508

Update: Ok, Today I removed the engine from my bike and split the case. I found one thing wrong right off the bat before i even got the engine out.. on the middle gear side of the engine the little cover that hides the bearing and bearing hold down plate.. well the four screws and the two plates were all laying loose behind that cover and the bearing was able to move in and out of the case causing end play issues and gear alignment problems I am sure. Here is the weird part.. all four of the screws were broken off.. ??? what would cause that?

Then once i got engine out and apart. I found that a bushing in a gear was pretty loose, It has a lot of side play. and on the same gear whatever gear it is? the inside hub part where it engages (not sure what they call that) the edges all seem to be chewed off, It's not nice and square anymore like the rest of the gear clusters are. looking on the web it looks like the two gears I need are really spendy also.. anyone have some good used ones they would sell cheaper? other then that some new gaskets, screws, bearing plates and a good inspection of everything else I think I will be good to go.. the clutch looks like its in really nice shape yet, it never slipped though either. hopefully some ez-outs will get them broken off screws out.. :crying:

Shawn

I was able to get the screws out easy enough.. used a needle nose pliers and turned em right out.. thankfully no locktite on them.

I am pretty sure the gear that the bushing is worn in turns out to be 1st gear.. well I am considering just having my local machine shop turn me a new bushing to put in it. I mean really how long are we in 1st gear anyways.. The thing that gets me still is.. being the bearing retainer was basically gone and just grinding around behind that cover.. why didn't I hear noise in all gears and only in 5th? or being its a new bike to me.. it maybe was making noise in all the gears but not as loud as 5th and it doesn't have stock exhaust either so it's a little bit louder (Cobra mufflers).

I am not having much luck in finding any of the parts on ebay or anywhere like that and buying new gears is out of the question.. I cannot afford it right now. I would like to be able to ride my bike yet this summer. Plus I don't like having it in a thousand pieces laying all over the garage.

Wish me Luck! Hope to be on the road soon. and not like this :mytruck1:

Shawn

1st takes the hardest beating though. when you floor it on takeoff 1st get's more stress than 5th will get in 200,000 miles of riding. you will be really upset if you took apart the tranny and you have 1st gear popping out on you later.

Dont look for internal parts, look for whole engine assemblies to get your tranny parts. cheaper and easier. Most people do not disassemble them and sell the internals.