We got a Garmin Nuvi for xmas and haven't ever used it. We are going to Banff on bike this summer and just tried to put in an address that we are staying at up there.

Does this thing not have Canadian maps?

No they probably do not. They have to be purchased seperately, but I would call Garmin 1st.

Well, call me cheap, but for a 100.00 bucks, I'll get a food old fashioned paper map when we cross into Canada!

Sometimes the best road trips are when you have no idea where you are and it really doesn't matter!!

Thanks for the help!

Well, call me cheap, but for a 100.00 bucks, I'll get a food old fashioned paper map when we cross into Canada!

Sometimes the best road trips are when you have no idea where you are and it really doesn't matter!!

Thanks for the help!

My Nuvi came loaded with USA Maps only.

Boomer........who will someday sneak into Canada on a Venture disguised as a Beer Truck and get free directions from the locals.:crackup:

GPS providers make money selling update maps. I went through that with Magellan going from the Meridian Platinum to the Explorist to the Triton models. Each needed a new map program to create cards for the units. I pefer Garmin units now.

The Canada only version for the Garmin Nuvi is $60.

Thanks for the help!

My Nuvi came loaded with USA Maps only.

Boomer........who will someday sneak into Canada on a Venture disguised as a Beer Truck and get free directions from the locals.:crackup:

The funny thing is...every campground I've made reservations at....the owners ride motorcycle and have been emailing me great bike routes to ride!!

If that's the case, then it's probably like Boomer's. My Garmin is just a tad bit more expensive and I really didn't need to go that far, but I liked the unit and it's options. It came loaded with a lot more than just a road/street map of Canada and the USA. This baby should be able to find me an icecream cone at the touch of a button, lol...

The funny thing is...every campground I've made reservations at....the owners ride motorcycle and have been emailing me great bike routes to ride!!

Well there ya go! Leave the Garmin turned off and enjoy the rides.

Boomer........who rides around lost even with the GPS turned ON.

I always say "With my GPS, I might be lost but I know exactly where I am."

Well there ya go! Leave the Garmin turned off and enjoy the rides.

Boomer........who rides around lost even with the GPS turned ON.

You'll need mapping once up there if you don't have your US Pass Port. They're now required to get back in from Mexico and Canada, thanks to Homeland Security. A good friend goes fishing in Canada a couple times a year and just got his. He said it takes the full process and lots of time to get it.

I think the "entry level" Garman only has pre-loaded mapping for the country of sale.

Have a good trip.

We got a Garmin Nuvi for xmas and haven't ever used it. We are going to Banff on bike this summer and just tried to put in an address that we are staying at up there.

I have a Magellan and it comes with maps for the all the USA States-Canada& Puerto Rico. I thought all the GPS units came loaded. Thank you for the info I will stick with Magellan in the future. :thumbsup2:

I have a Magellan and it comes with maps for the all the USA States-Canada& Puerto Rico. I thought all the GPS units came loaded. Thank you for the info I will stick with Magellan in the future. :thumbsup2:

My IPX-4 rated Magellan got about 10 drops of rain on it and it quit working,. Had to fight with Magellan to get it replaced and to this day don't trust it in the rain. Hence the new acquisition... But yes, it had both Canada and the USA preloaded although you had to switch between them to access the maps.