IGNORED

Question on the Fork Seal replacement instructions

I have a question on the Fork Seal replacement instructions posted by Freebird if any of you have done it this way

HERE

In the part below where you remove the 8 or 10mm Allen Socket on the bottom of the fork, mine just keeps spinning around and around.. I didn't see in the instruction where I was supposed to do anything to stop it on the other side, but I am turning it counter-clockwise and it does not come loose, it feels like it is spinning a nut on the other end of it... Not sure how to proceed now my seals are leaking like crazy and bike front end is apart for this step.

Any ideas would be appreciate... Thank you,

Brandon

Freebird's picture from this step

http://www.venturerider.org/forkseals/george/12c%20%28WinCE%29.jpg

I have a question on the Fork Seal replacement instructions posted by Freebird if any of you have done it this way

HERE

it feels like it is spinning a nut on the other end of it... Not sure how to proceed now my seals are leaking like crazy and bike front end is apart for this step.

Any ideas would be appreciate... Thank you,

Brandon

You are spinning the dampner rod, one way to hold it is stuff a broom handle down there to catch the top of it, pressure will be required to hold it still, while loosening the allen bolt. The top of the dampner rod is like a shallow 15/16 socket. I prefer to use a double nutted 15/16 bolt & socket with extentions to do it. But if the forks are not removed off the bike, it could be a PITA to remove the double nutted bolt afterwards, thus using the broom handle instead.

:2cents:

Get a piece of 5/8" all thread at least 20" long.

Put two 5/8" nuts on each end and lock them down against each other.

Slide this down in top of fork after spring has been removed.

The bottom nut will engage the damper rod. Hold top nut with wrench.

All thread & nuts were about $8.00 at Lowes.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT0016.jpg

Looks to me that you could use a heavier impact, so that the impacts from the gun are more positive. You could also try to tighten it once and then spin it loose, but the broom handle trick should works as well, maybe even with your light impact.

I just got done replacing the seals and putting Progressives in my bike yesterday. What we did was pull down hard on the outer tube to put pressure on it and use the impact wrench. Came right off.

Getting it apart is only half the problem.

How did you re-torque it?

Gary

Tried the broomstick, might have been too big of one, no joy there.

Bought a 5/8 threaded rod with the nuts as in the picture and had both sides off in less than a minute.. Bottom pulled off fairly easily too. Thank you for your help, I seriously could not have done it without you.