IGNORED

Needle Vavles

Guest retusn

Guest retusn

I been having problems with what I think is sticky floats. Tried the seafoam, didn't work. tried running the heck out of it - didn't work. Replaced the set in carb #3 - that one stopped burbing fuel thru the overflow. NOW the others are burbing fuel. I can't believe all four would/could go bad, but I am open for suggestions.

Thanks,

Bob

Possible there is crud of some type in the fuel tank. If all 4 carb float valves are stuck open, something must be getting into the bowls.

I would pull the fuel filter, and replace.

Also, completly Drain the fuel tank, ( DRY ) . Put some HEET in before you drain it to get any water to mix, and drain out with the fuel.

Blow out all the fuel lines from the Fuel petcock, to the filter, to the pump, and from the pump to the carbs. ( I think the 2nd gens have a pump, but not certain on that point )

Then, drain ALL the bowls again, Maby the SEA FOAM, freed up some crud somplace, and it got pumped thru the system.

Might consider removeing the PetCock from the tank, to make sure you get the tank cleaned out. Also would not hurt to do that, to get a look at the condition of the " SCEENS " on the petcock, sticking up into the tank.

???

My 2 cents worth. I have a 99 and number 3 was leaking. I was getting gas running out of the number three carb when I parked the bike. The bottom of the carb was wet and leaking on the engine. For about a year I just shut the gas off and let in run most of the way out till last winter. I debated whether to do one or four and went ahead and did all four because if one is doing it it's only a matter of time for the other three. That resolved my issues.

BTW, I looked at the needle and seats and I could see a little wear but compared to a car needle it did not look like it was hurt. Anyway, if your getting gas coming out then do the other three.

Spotsy

I have posted in other threads about this- in the RSVs I have personally checked, ALL the carb floats have been set VERY HIGH from the factory. This would certainly aggravate the problem noted here, if not actually be the cause. If the neoprene float needle tip is not damaged, and the valve seat is clear of debris, just setting the float levels correctly might be all that is needed. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest retusn

Again, thanks to all. I ordered 3 more after looking at the parts under a magnafying glass. The one I changed definately was worn with the tip pitted. I couldn't see it unless using a glass. I will hopefully get the parts this week and set the floats following your writeup. I assume you adjust the floats by lightly bending the metal arm on the float like you would do on a cars carb.

Again, thanks to all. I ordered 3 more after looking at the parts under a magnafying glass. The one I changed definately was worn with the tip pitted. I couldn't see it unless using a glass. I will hopefully get the parts this week and set the floats following your writeup. I assume you adjust the floats by lightly bending the metal arm on the float like you would do on a cars carb.

Yes, you just bend the tab. Make sure to measure the same side on all the floats and to keep the tool exactly perpendicular to the float bowl surface for the same reading on each.

Goose

My son-in-law and I, well mostly my-in-law tore down the carbs on a recently purchased 99 RSV. After plenty of Seafoam and him cleaning the inside of the carbs and numerous installs and removals was that gas was coming out the overflows profusely. What we finally found was the neoprene o rings that seal in the float seats had shrunk and were not sealing and fuel was flowing around the seat. It seems as though when cleaning the carbs we cleaned the gunk from around the o rings and they wouldn't seal after that. We went to the parts store and found metric o rings to replace the bad ones. (as you have to buy the whole seat set from the Yammy dealer) Installed the carbs once again. No leaks. It may be that sometimes cleaning the carbs with carb cleaner may loosen the gunk and let fuel around the float seats. Again this is for what it's worth.

Guest retusn

Thanks for all the help. I ordered but have not received new needle vavles. I have time on my hands so I took the advice from arnesbay and stopped by NAPA and got some orings. Just a little fatter. When I examined the original orings, they appeared to have shrunk and kinda brittle. I changed with the new ones (had a hard time seating them) and voila, no more leaks. I DID NOT set the float levels and I know they are off, but will do that soon.

Again, thanks.

Bob