IGNORED

Bike now has a battery & 2 coils in

Todays project was getting the battery box fabricated and installed.

Made a two piece box out of 1/8" aluminum.

Mounted a front coil bracket from a VMax on the bottom. This bracket will hold the two front cylinder coils & the Vboost motor.

Rear pair of coils will be mounted rear of the back heads under the fuel tank. That's tomorrows project. Using the VMax rear bracket for those.

One thing that comes to mind. Don't try this at home kids !!. Unless you have a lot of patience and enjoy tinkering with stuff. Getting some of this stuff to fit up right has been a series of try it, remove it, rework it, repeat, repeat.

But it is fun. I am having as good a time rebuilding this bike as I will riding it.

Gary

just a quick question? is that a metal battery box now and wont that some how affect a battery.? i know from my old days that placeing a battery on concrete or metal some how drained them. but what do i know?

Now you bring this up.

:bang head:

I hope not, but time will tell. I do remember about not setting it on concrete though.

Gary

In Googling "battery discharge concrete" I read several pages which all pointed to the same basic idea: modern batteries are not affected in the same way old ones were. The high insulation value of modern packaging materials should render it a non issue.

I think.

:fingers-crossed-emo

The concrete thing doesn't matter anymore. New batteries are not affected by concrete.

As for being in a metal tray, most car batteries sit in metal trays under the hood.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1999/November/06.html

Ray: Thirty years ago or so, most battery casings were made of hard rubber. And because of the porosity of that material, battery acid would sometimes seep through the rubber and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery.

Tom: But that can't happen today with plastic-cased batteries. That's because molded polypropylene (a k a plastic), is not porous at all.

Ray: So today, you can put your battery on a concrete floor for as long as you want. And here's the interesting thing, Clay. The cooler the temperature, the slower a battery's rate of discharge. And because concrete is often cooler than its surroundings, leaving a modern battery on a concrete floor might actually make it last LONGER.