IGNORED

Duel Problem maybe oil & anti freeze

Have this on another forum but the experts are here,,,

I have noticed here in the past month or so that I have a very slight oil drip in the center of the engine. I think I have traced it to a location that is going to near impossible to check and tighten the small bolts on the left side of the engine up, and behind the covers. It doesn't seem to do it all of the time, just when it sits for a while. But then again it hasn't sit for long until now. I will try to get a photo of the area that I think it is coming from this week end and post it. I also noticed that the sight glass for the oil is full,,,:doh: I thought that I had filled it to just above the top mark ever so slightly,,,,,,

Now the strange thing... I looked yesterday to just check the drip, and saw a drop or two of anti freeze hanging on the same line that there has been oil. What the heck!!! My shop varies greatly in temperature, and I figure that the line or a clamp is shrunk due to cold, and reheat ( to a degree ) I am puzzled on this a little.... Any Ideas.

I posted this one time before and caught all kinds of havoc, but this works very well to identify WHERE the leak is coming from..

Clean off all of the oil and antifreeze..areas must be dry...then spray the areas you think are leaking with "dry spray deodorant"...yes dry spray deodorant..

Where ever the leak "begins" to appear the deodorant will turn a pinkish color.

Now you know exactly where the leak is coming from..

And yes, it does make you bike smell better.....

so come on now, let the comments fly..:rasberry:

You can hose off the deodorant with a garden hose..and it will not hurt the paint or aluminum, or anything else between..

A picture would also help to get an answer that your looking for...

Quick shots of underneath. Later when I get a chance to jack it up maybe I can get better shots. In the first photo, way up at the top there is a line that goes to the side of the engine, that is where I think the oil was coming from, but now it seems the anti freeze is covering that side too,,:confused24: I hope to jack it up maybe tomorrow to give it a really good look, and it will be warmer then too I hope.

Where I found oil to be seeping once or thought it was,, was good and clean now ( I cleaned it good a couple of months ago ) I wiped off the anti freeze and rode it for an hour or so this afternoon get it good and warm, and give every thing a good old fashion circulating. I could of course smell the anti freeze when stooped, and when I got back it was good and dry except for a single drip at the end of the rubber tube that is around the clutch line ( or I think it is the clutch line ) Just above the sender thingy that I thought was where the oil was coming from there is a rubber covered line with a banjo head going into the engine body. Right now I cant really tell if there was any anti freeze there or not just yet that is,,,:confused24: Have to let it cool for a day or so.

My guess is the aft rear left (drivers side) jug cover seal is leaking the antifreeze, and it is running down to the left rear side of your engine..

Pull off the rear jug side cover (3 Allen head screws) and see if you have antifreeze behind the fin cover..If so then I would guess the rubber seal is leaking.

Let me go find the tech article and Ill be back here in a minute to attach the link...

Edit; Added below link and photos for clarity.

Click on below link and rear the very last section of the last post (#6) done by V7Goose.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37353

Location of cylinder fin seals can be seen in attached Wood document.

Here is another link of someone else having same issue that you can read up on.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55346

Edited by Eck

I don't understand why you can't pressure test the system, I'm almost certain they make the cap for the tester..

Probably can, if you have a pressure tester, and have the tank off to get to the cap, but that ( I don't think ) will tell ya where it is leaking, or seeping.

Guest scarylarry
Probably can, if you have a pressure tester, and have the tank off to get to the cap, but that ( I don't think ) will tell ya where it is leaking, or seeping.

I know this is a different beast, but everytime I did a cager it show right up, and yes I see your point on taking the tank off that would be the only downside to it, but it could save you the headache of searching for it...

Example if the system ran at 20 lbs I would pump it to 30 lbs and there it was..

Has for a pressure tester most parts house have them that can be rented for a liitle to nothing

Maybe one of the experts here can chime on this...

The cylinder drain plugs are a somewhat unique situation - they are just soft rubber held in place by the fin covers. As they get old they loose a small bit of pliancy and slight shrinkage from the cold can cause them to weep. Pressure in the system can just push them back against the fin cover and cause them to expand and seal the hole. That (and probably the heat, too) is why they do not leak when riding - only after sitting for a cold night or so.

Goose

Guest scarylarry
The cylinder drain plugs are a somewhat unique situation - they are just soft rubber held in place by the fin covers. As they get old they loose a small bit of pliancy and slight shrinkage from the cold can cause them to weep. Pressure in the system can just push them back against the fin cover and cause them to expand and seal the hole. That (and probably the heat, too) is why they do not leak when riding - only after sitting for a cold night or so.

Goose

So let me make sure I understand this pressure testing might not work cause of the rubber behind the fins?

So let me make sure I understand this pressure testing might not work cause of the rubber behind the fins?

Pressure will "EXPAND" the rubber seal .....thus.....seal the leak..that is what he is saying.

When the rubber seal is in the "relaxed" (cold) state, then it will/could be causing the leak.

Guest scarylarry
Pressure will "EXPAND" the rubber seal .....thus.....seal the leak..that is what he is saying.

When the rubber seal is in the "relaxed" (cold) state, then it will/could be causing the leak.

Thanks, I never dealt with seals that why I couldn't see why a pressure tester would show the leak...

My guess is the aft rear left (drivers side) jug cover seal is leaking the antifreeze, and it is running down to the left rear side of your engine..

Pull off the rear jug side cover (3 Allen head screws) and see if you have antifreeze behind the fin cover..If so then I would guess the rubber seal is leaking.

Let me go find the tech article and Ill be back here in a minute to attach the link...

Edit; Added below link and photos for clarity.

Click on below link and rear the very last section of the last post (#6) done by V7Goose.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37353

Location of cylinder fin seals can be seen in attached Wood document.

Here is another link of someone else having same issue that you can read up on.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55346

Don't leave the covers off overnight...They will come out by themselves, and then you will have a big mess ....

Goose

Yep I think they are the culprit. It got down to 15 last night and today there is a good puddle on the left side cover, and under the Trike,,, Now for the big question?? I couldn't tell from the parts fiche the correct part number. Is this the right number: SKU: 90338-11152-00 Part # 9 of the crankcase :confused24: If that is them, now all I have to do is find a Steelier that has them in stock. I checked the shipping on a couple of sites, and it is $22.00 :yikes: May have to take a chance on a local dealer ( closest I know of is 100 miles )

Put dimes on the left side for the time being, maybe it will at least slow it down some.

Edited by kj5ix

• 2 weeks later...

The dimes worked for the past few weeks :happy34: I finely got some plugs, and changed them out this morning, then took her for an hour or so ride to get it all hot and bothered, and to seat in the plugs ( just an excuse to get out and ride ) I left the dimes on the covers too. I didn't loose but about 3 table spoons of anti-freeze, but it looked like a gallon :) Now only time and temperature will tell.

• 2 weeks later...