IGNORED

Soda Blaster For Carb Cleaning & Rebuilding

Cougar

Went to harbor freight to get parts to make soda blaster Cougar showed & they had this on sale for $9.99, normally $14.99 on line.

Air gun & vinyl tube would have been about $7.00 for Cougars .

Went with this to try.

I don't have to have vinyl tube feeding out of box this way.

Gary

Gary, So I take it that the baking soda will just go into the top part of that gun then ? Great Find. now share the link *LOL*

wonder how much it will hold?

Just tried it and it works OK. Fairly comfortable to hold and use.

Instructions say 9oz hopper

Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 cups of material.

Also says it will work with glass bead & walnut shells.

Here is online link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93221&Submit=Go

Gary

Guest Ken8143

but do you REALLY want pecan shells and steel grit blasting all over the place when you are cleaning out your carbs!! LOL

Looks like the harbor freight units would do some powerful work. I like the DIY version - this should show up under poor man's fixes.

but do you REALLY want pecan shells and steel grit blasting all over the place when you are cleaning out your carbs!! LOL

Looks like the harbor freight units would do some powerful work. I like the DIY version - this should show up under poor man's fixes.

Thought we were discussing baking soda???????

Guest Ken8143
Thought we were discussing baking soda???????

Yeah - the Harbor Freight ones said to use all kinds of things in their blasters. Oh well

How do you think it would do on cleaning rims on a 89 VR ????

From what I tried earlier today, I don't believe that soda will take any serious corrosion or build up off.

It seemed to put somewhat of a smooth, non shiny surface on the carb diaphragm cover I tried it on. Cover had an oxidation type patina to it prior to soda blasting. It would still need polished with a buffing wheel, which I also tried on blasted piece. It did gloss out fairly easily.

I think what cougar posted would also work with glass beads though.

The soda aspect is nice because containment of the blasted media isn't as big a problem. Just hose it away.

I liked his initial post, which was reason I went to Harbor Freight to get air gun, just liked one they had a smidge more.

Gary