IGNORED

CB Antenna Question

Skid

I finally checked my CB antenna out this weekend and discovered I had just as much power going towards the radio as I did the antenna. No wonder it didn't work real well. Anyway I checked the radio with a good antenna on the truck and found about 2.5 watts output. So I am looking for a good place to buy another replacement for the bike. Does anyone have good information where to find a replacement? Probably will go with a Firestick.....

I finally checked my CB antenna out this weekend and discovered I had just as much power going towards the radio as I did the antenna. No wonder it didn't work real well. Anyway I checked the radio with a good antenna on the truck and found about 2.5 watts output. So I am looking for a good place to buy another replacement for the bike. Does anyone have good information where to find a replacement? Probably will go with a Firestick.....

Skid, I'm not sure I understand how your getting a WATT reading off the antenna?? Have you checked your antenna SWR?? That I understand... :)

Skid, I'm not sure I understand how your getting a WATT reading off the antenna?? Have you checked your antenna SWR?? That I understand... :)

Forward and Reflected power is your SWR reading. A poor antenna will reflect power from the antenna, this is called SWR.

It was over 5:1

I been searching the firestik antennas and looking at the different mounting hardware....

Yeah sounds like your center load might be damaged. What ever happened to those short 'Rubber Duckies'?? I wonder if they still make them??? I don't know about you, but the only time I use the CB is on a group ride. Not shooting much skip.... er... DXing. :)

Yeah sounds like your center load might be damaged. What ever happened to those short 'Rubber Duckies'?? I wonder if they still make them??? I don't know about you, but the only time I use the CB is on a group ride. Not shooting much skip.... er... DXing. :)

I only use it in group rides myself and sometimes on the highway to check traffic conditions. I'm wondering where I might find the best price on a Firestik antenna. Anyone have any ideas?:confused24:

Edited by Skid

I only use it in group rides myself and sometimes on the highway to check traffic conditions. I'm wondering where I might find the best price on a Firestik antenna. Anyoe have any ideas?:confused24:

Since pure CB shops are few and far between any longer I'd try Radio Shack, or your local truck stop. Or for other options, maybe these guys... http://www.everhardtantennas.com/

Check your E-mail......Dave

OK, I've ordered a new black Firestik FL3 antenna. I liked the slim stock look of the original antenna, but decided to dress up the old girl with a new fiberglass antenna. The original was a little over four feet, but this one is only three feet tall. I suppose if I don't like it I can always change it later. It will be nice to have the CB working as good as it can. I already have the new coax and connectors to connect it up with. Since I removed the Class control to get to the CB, I also will attempt the fix on the E4 code I've been getting. The tech section had a good description of how to do this fix too. I'll follow up later to let you know how everything is going...... Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

:thumbsup2:

So, Jeff, where did you get the firestick and what was involved in mounting it?

What cost was involved with extras?

Todd, here is what everything costed me.

It fit the 1/2 inch hole in the mount perfect.

All I needed was the antenna and mounting hardware.

I alkready had to coax to replace it.

:thumbsup2:

FireStik FL3 FireFly-Antenna.............. $ 15.90

FireFly lightweight antenna

FireStik K4A firestik-k4A.........................$ 3.49

...................................................Subtotal 19.39

......................................................Shipping 8.01

...............................................................Tax 0.00

........................................................Total $27.40

You may want to consider adding a heavy duty spring to it if gets to whipping around too much. The spring will change the way it moves at high speed.

I don't think it will move too much, it's pretty stiff. I think the spring would let it move more. I'l try it out tomorrow evening......

Not if he don't have CB!!

That other antenna was worthless. I couldn't hear anything on it before. Last night I was hearing skip from clear across the country. First time I ever heard anything like that on the bike. :biker:

The CB and new antenna are working great together. Just like brand new again. I've taken the class control apart and should have it back in tomorrow. Hopefuly the E4 code will be gone. I've also hard wired the XM radio this week, so the cigarette lighter plug is no longer needed.....

:cool10:

• 1 month later...