IGNORED

? about battery

Installed a new battery in my 83 Royale. Now, I noticed a wire that plugged into the old battery, assume it is the water level sensor. The new battery does not have the hole to install the wire, so now I get a blinking red light on the dash saying something is amiss. I think it has to do with the battery sensor wire. Anyone know the work around on this? The battery i bought is a totally sealed unit.

That will get you there. Some have tried to hook that probe lead directly to the power source without the resistor fix done. Not a good idea. Will crisp the CM. Just a reminder.

THe CM is your dashboard Computer monitor. and it is hard to find to replace if you toast it.

Hi Noel and welcome! I just thought I'd give you a little extra info on the sensor and how it works. The sensor is to tell you that your battery electrolyte is low and you need to add some. As long as the probe has contact with the electrolyte it will provide a voltage to the CMS (Computerized Monitoring System) on the dash. The voltage is at a logic level voltage, generally around 5 volts or so. This is why the probe goes into the cell that it does, as each cell adds about 2 1/3 volts. Depending on what kind of battery you put in, monitoring the acid level may still be beneficiary. Now most of us switch to an AGM battery which is maintenance free and does not use liquids. If you are still using a lead acid battery you can always drill a hole in the middle battery cap ( 3rd one over from the negative terminal) and position the probe in so that it's tip ends at the low level point. Then you can seal up the probe in the cap and you are all set. Make sure the probe is clean as if the probe has a bunch of crud on it then it will also give you a defect reading. As long as the probe detects voltage the light stays off. This is why the mod is needed to keep the light off. The dropping resistor is needed to bring 12 volts down to around 5 volts. If the logic chip sees 12 volts on the logic line it will short out...

thanks for all the info. Will pop down to radio shack and pick up some resistors and do the fix. Am using the new sealed AGM battery. Went for the 1st ride today since I purchased this bike. It runs very strong and handles as I remember how the 87 Venture I had. Kind of just lopes along. Now, I don't know why the goldwing beat these bikes out in popularity. The venture will run circles around a same year or later gold wing. More power, better handling, and so on.

One thing I need to do. The mufflers that came with this bike look great, but? I removed them to clean them up and do some other stuff. Well, it sounded like there was some loose stuff rattling around inside the mufflers. I removed the rivets and took the outer cone off and discovered that the baffles had literally come apart in pieces. Dumped out the parts, there was nothing left, so the mufflers are wide open. I cut 2 round disks and drilled 3 1/2" holes in them and welded them inside each muffler. well it quieted it down a bit but they are still on the loud side. They sound good but are kind of obnoxious. Guess I better comb Ebay. Have heard guys say BUBS are a nice setup. Are they loud?