OK, the backseat boss and I got some new helmets and would like to set up some comms. Unfortunately I now realize that the bike I bought doesn't have the passenger control for the intercom, CB, etc.. Does anyone have a working one off a parts bike they would be willing to give up? Please let me know! I found it on the parts websites, but that price is a little steep to swallow.

Is there an alternative device I could plug in to allow her and I to both use the intercom/CB or however that works and listen to the radio.

Thanks!

Todd

I dont know about 2nd gens, but on 1st gens there is a wire with a plug that runs to the rear passenger seat, it is located under the seat. You might want to check there and see if you have one. If there is, you can plug into that and she can hear and communicated with you, doesnt have to have a control to work.

The 1st gen Royale has a black panel on the left front of the trunk with two DIN connectors. The helmet connects into the top one, the remote into the bottom.

The intercom and radio should work without the remote. If they don't, you have something else wrong. I often take the remote off to keep my wife from bumping buttons and messing up the radio.

The remote gives her a volume attenuator, seek button for the radio, mute button, channel up/down buttons for the CB and the PTT button for the CB. If you key up the CB with the rider control her mic will also be active.

If you pop over to the tech section you can find the schematics for the connector. I believe you only need to wire in a momentary switch to key up the CB.

Edited by MiCarl

OK, so the intercom is always on? Do I need to get a certain headset that will only trigger when talked into and one where she can control the volume in case it is too loud for one or the other?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I buy the correct stuff! Can be a little spendy to get it wrong.

Also, if anyone does have a control unit they don't mind parting with please let me know!

:thumbsup:

The mics are always "hot". The intercom can be turned off and the volume controlled by the INT VOL knob at the lower right of the radio panel.

When the output level of the intercom reaches a certain level it will mute the radio and CB. You need to play with it to get a level where you can hear each other, where road noise doesn't mute the radios and where you don't hear too much background noise.

You need headsets that are compatible with the system and that have the correct cable. The whole setup is the same for the 1st gens, 2nd gens, Gold Wings and many (all?) Harleys. If you have a doubt it'd be a good idea to get together with someone that has a compatible bike/headset and plug into each others' bikes to test everything. Both rider and passenger headsets are the same electrically.

As far as the attenuator goes, my wife never uses her (she always wants louder) and the rider attenuator on my bike doesn't work. I don't see a lot of value to it.

My wife does not use the CB, and she only changes the radio when we're in a situation where I'm too busy to do it for us. Mostly she bumps the mute button by accident then complains the radio isn't loud enough. Of course the rider mute button won't "reset" the passenger one.

For passenger PTT, the yellow wire going to the CB is loking for a ground to activate the transmitter. That should be allo the info you need to McGuiver a PTT switch. As far as connecting to the system, there are 2 din jacks on the amplifier unit to plug in driver and passenger headset cables to. You really don't need the aux passenger controler to make things work...

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll order up a set of headsets and see what happens! I'll continue to look for the control unit, but I am very relieved to know it should work without!

The dealer I go to is recommending some J&M headsets...anyone got bad things to say about them or something I would be more happy with?