IGNORED

dim clock and dim cms display

Guest timshosvt

Guest timshosvt

Bought some ebay items to unfry my bike...hoping not to refry it.

Clock and computer are dim with no red warning light. I have 12.59 volts at the battery and at the connectors for the clock and computer. The intensity does not change when the bike is started.

I did not change out the ignition switch from the fire as it was black with soot, but seemed to function. I did not check resistance across the switch.

I did not open up LCD to check any connector there because the clock was dim too.

Where to go next? I did scrub the ground wire off the battery to the best of my abilities...same for the red connector.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Guest timshosvt

Update:

I hooked to clock up directly to the battery and it was still dim. I am charging the battery to rule that out....Not ambitious enough to hook it up to my car battery.

Hi Tim,

i'm really sorry for your Loss in that Fire and i'm happy that you weren't hurt more. This could have been a really bad Incident.

As for the Voltage. Do you think that your Car's Battery will supply other 12 Volts than your Bike's Battery does ? Somehow brighter 12 Volts ? Sorry couldn't resist ... :rotf:

Tim, maybe the clear plastic has a smokey film on it, and your clear plastic is now smoke colored plastic!! That would make the display dim, and you may not notice it due to the background color of the display.

I finally sent your parts out yesterday, so you should see the stuff tomorrow. I also now have a spare center piece for the dash vents but not the two "up" tubes if you need it...

Guest timshosvt

I am blocking all your posts now :) But before I do, I guess I should mention that since I have no idea how to use my $5 volt meter and am not sure if it actually works, I thought maybe my car battery would be brighter 12 volts and thought I'd test that with volt meter and then try hooking the clock up to it if it was a brighter 12 volts.

Ok, I am blocking your posts now :) bye bye squeeze.

Hi Tim,

i'm really sorry for your Loss in that Fire and i'm happy that you weren't hurt more. This could have been a really bad Incident.

As for the Voltage. Do you think that your Car's Battery will supply other 12 Volts than your Bike's Battery does ? Somehow brighter 12 Volts ? Sorry couldn't resist ... :rotf:

Just kidding.

Guest timshosvt

The instrument panel melted into a blob the size of a softball....The new one is from an 83. Thanks for the input. Any more ideas are welcomed.

Sorry you've had a fire problem. My 86 had a rotational dimmer switch for the instrument lights. Could this be melted in a fixed setting? Just checking/ Bilko

Guest timshosvt

The bulbs from the ebay instruments were covered with a film. Perhaps I will take the LCDs apart and clean the cover. Good point!

I just looked on my front porch and the box was between two wicker chairs. Mailman was hiding it. I think you exaggerated about the condition of the mirror. It is in great condition, void of fingerprints and DNA. The clutch hose is immaculate, as well. I can do paypal, or whatever you would like.

I'm still looking for the two side panels with lids. My speaker grills are ok, but smell like bacon. I am also looking for an ignition cover.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tim

Tim, maybe the clear plastic has a smokey film on it, and your clear plastic is now smoke colored plastic!! That would make the display dim, and you may not notice it due to the background color of the display.

I finally sent your parts out yesterday, so you should see the stuff tomorrow. I also now have a spare center piece for the dash vents but not the two "up" tubes if you need it...

Guest timshosvt

Took the clock apart and it was cloudy, but did not make a difference with the intensity of the LCD.

The red warning light was not working because some clever indidvidual put a chunk of black tape over it. It was very nicely installed. I pulled it off and it worked in response to my headlight not being plugged in.

I was going to comment on this thread. Several years ago the guys use complain about the lights being to bright, especially the cruise control lights so they would put resister and all kind of things on them to dim them down.

Good luck with your project.

Jerry