IGNORED

5 tire spooned on, beads inside,, Tip n I take Tweeks for test drive and ahhh ohhh...

cowpuc

Just happen to notice the Volt meter wasn't reporting in for duty like it should be... As we headed in with our volt meter showing 10 volts every time I pulled the front brake - I was telling Tip how happy I was that what I thought was coming didn't happen while out playing around at the Flaming Gorge area in Wyoming/Utah or Colorado... Why oh why do those gut feelings always gotta be so accurate.....

Oh fun times, I am hoping my stator lives forever..................

So just how crispy was that stator in Tweeksis?

It's actually not that bad to swap em out, the key is (IMHO) is to get em to fail while your somewhere in the vicinity of home where all the parts bikes are waiting to greet you with the pieces ya need to do the repair. Ya gotta stay on the throttle,, keep er moving at pace while your out CTFW that ol Murph can't keep up...

Jeff,, this thing was bad enough that I could actually smell it (I KNOW you know the smell - that rancid electrical failure smell) on the screws when I was taking the stator cover off Tweeksis... Below are a couple crispy coil critter shots just for you brother!!

So THAT's why Superman didn't show up to the WNY Rally...

YEP! Got the new tire on, balance beads in it, had er all packed up, got a new tent (cause our other failed on our next to the last night at Sturgis) and the works - quick trip around the block to make sure all was set and POOF:95:...

:detective:By the looks of things I was SORELY missed too Bob = STILL AINT SEEN A PICTURE (not even one) OF THE RALLY ACTION IN NY:photographing::cop:!!! One thing you can ALWAYS count on ol Pucster for brother and THAT is at least taking some pictures:missingtooth:!!

DSCN5748.JPG

DSCN5747.JPG

DSCN5749.JPG

DSCN5750.JPG

DSCN5751.JPG

Wondering.... :think:... if the burning was caused by the lack of oil being splashed up on the stator on the '83's Yamaha came out with a gizmo/stator cooling kit.. maybe someone has a pic??... It was supposed to cure the problem on the '83's. I used to have one NOS, and probably still do, but where????? It'd be like the needle in a hay stack. Just did a search and came up with this info posted by @dinghy in 2008. Proof that there is ever lasting life.... BTW someone needs to donate a tripod to cowpuc.... :whistling:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?71303-Stator-info-and-cooling-kit

attachment.php?attachmentid=104075&d=1456177024

attachment.php?attachmentid=104076&d=1456177050

Edited by Condor

Oh fun times, I am hoping my stator lives forever..................

So just how crispy was that stator in Tweeksis?

Wondering.... :think:... if the burning was caused by the lack of oil being splashed up on the stator on the '83's Yamaha came out with a gizmo/stator cooling kit.. maybe someone has a pic??... It was supposed to cure the problem on the '83's. I used to have one NOS, and probably still do, but where????? It'd be like the needle in a hay stack. Just did a search and came up with this info posted by @dinghy in 2008. Proof that there is ever lasting life.... BTW someone needs to donate a tripod to cowpuc.... :whistling:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?71303-Stator-info-and-cooling-kit

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104075&d=1456177024

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104076&d=1456177050

ahhh ohhhhh,,,, see,, ya REALLY can learn something new everyday or,, even an old dog really can learn new tricks!! Condor,, in my memory,, I haven never seen that newer version of the updated stator cooler.. Not to long ago,, somewhere back in VR history,, @Flyinfool had commented about some kind of a wire sticking out of the hole in the new rotor bolt on the Stator update.. Unknowingly, I didnt support that comment in a following comment to his.. OOPPSSSSSSSSSSSSS - my bad!!

Now I gotta go back and find that post and correct that... It all makes sense too,, I have replaced more than one stator that eventually failed similar to this one - burnt coils on the top - even with the "1st" update in place for stator cooling...

Now I wonder if the MK2 oil coolers and rotor bolts are the 2nd update models with the "wire" that Jeff and now you point out? Always something,,,, another adventure is on the horizon!!!!:thumbsup:

Thank you @Condor and THANK YOU FlyinFool for keeping your ol buddy on the straight n narrow - good lop eared varmints ye be = both of ya:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::happy34:

ahhh ohhhhh,,,, see,, ya REALLY can learn something new everyday or,, even an old dog really can learn new tricks!! Condor,, in my memory,, I haven never seen that newer version of the updated stator cooler.. Not to long ago,, somewhere back in VR history,, Flyinfool had commented about some kind of a wire sticking out of the hole in the new rotor bolt on the Stator update.. Unknowingly, I didnt support that comment in a following comment to his.. OOPPSSSSSSSSSSSSS - my bad!!

Now I gotta go back and find that post and correct that... It all makes sense too,, I have replaced more than one stator that eventually failed similar to this one - burnt coils on the top - even with the "1st" update in place for stator cooling...

Now I wonder if the MK2 oil coolers and rotor bolts are the 2nd update models with the "wire" that Jeff and now you point out? Always something,,,, another adventure is on the horizon!!!!:thumbsup:

Thank you Condor and THANK YOU FlyinFool for keeping your ol buddy on the straight n narrow - good lop eared varmints ye be = both of ya:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::happy34:

I did not pick on you in that other thread because I know there are differences between the 83 and my 88 and I was not 100% sure that yours was supposed to be the same as mine.

My 88 does have the bent wire in the bolt, so that must have been the final design. I am not certain what the purpose of the bent wire is, but I did put it back where I found it when I had the flywheel off to replace my start clutch.

My only guess as to the purpose of the wire is to control oil flow. If you bleed to much oil out the bolt then there is less oil pressure for the crank and rod bearings that are also fed from that same oil gallery. My WAG is that it was to hard to drill a tiny hole the length of that hardened bolt so they drilled a bigger one that was easier to push the drill bit thru from one side, and then added the wire to plug some of the hole back up to get the proper oil flow. But that is purely a WAG on my part.

I seem to remember someone saying that the wire rattling around in there was to keep the oil passage from plugging up. My thought is that if your oil is dirty enough to be worried about plugging that hole, you will have much bigger problems than a burnt stator.

Puc, I think this is the thread you referred to?

Edited by Flyinfool