IGNORED

The recent diode thread helped me simplyfy my project

stanG

The recent thread on diodes couldn't have been timed better and I am still whacking myself in head for not thinking of this myself since I have some background in electronics. My goal this winter has been to replace the stock headlight in my 1st gen with a pair of Rigid Dually Spots without making any major modifications so that if needed, I could return the bike to stock.

The Duallys fit nicely side by side in the stock headlight bracket opening after removing the frame that holds the lens assembly from the bracket. With some spacers and by drilling a couple holes in the bottom of the bracket I was able to position the lights near the center and fitting the lights was the easy part. I then adjusted one of the lights to cast it's beam higher than the other. The goal is that when on low beam the light with the lower beam is illuminated and then when on high beam both lights would be on creating a low beam-high beam effect. I also was able to retain the use of the headlight adjustment knob.

The dilemma was how to tie the lights together when power is applied to the high beam circuit. My original intent was to use a relay to accomplish this but after getting my memory refreshed on the function of diodes I simply calculated the load and went down to the local electronics store and grabbed a 50v 6a diode. The amp draw on the Dually is 1.1a so 6a should be more than adequate. I simply had to solder the diode across the low and high beam wires in the proper direction and whalla, done, and so simple. The following drawing illustrates the two scenarios and as you can see the diode is much simpler and has no moving parts. The relay is shown in the "low beam" mode.

HeadlightCircuits.jpg

Please note that I had already completed the mod to the dash electronics and to the reserve lighting unit as I converted the bike to all LED's long ago. I am now working on cleaning up the install and adjusting the lights. I will add some pictures later on. Any of you who have used these lights know that they really cast a good beam that I would say is superior to HID. I expect to have plenty of light going down the road with these and the set of Dually floods that I have mounted off my custom horn brackets with all four lights drawing only 64 watts and roughly 4.5 amps!

Now before I hear about the legalities of such a modification, let's just say I'm willing to take the chance to dodge critters get good vision at 4:30am when I am traveling my 23 mile commute to the radio station each morning. Plus, I think with proper adjustment the five-oh will leave me alone. I' hoping so anyway!

More later...

The recent thread on diodes couldn't have been timed better and I am still whacking myself in head for not thinking of this myself since I have some background in electronics. My goal this winter has been to replace the stock headlight in my 1st gen with a pair of Rigid Dually Spots without making any major modifications so that if needed, I could return the bike to stock.

The Duallys fit nicely side by side in the stock headlight bracket opening after removing the frame that holds the lens assembly from the bracket. With some spacers and by drilling a couple holes in the bottom of the bracket I was able to position the lights near the center and fitting the lights was the easy part. I then adjusted one of the lights to cast it's beam higher than the other. The goal is that when on low beam the light with the lower beam is illuminated and then when on high beam both lights would be on creating a low beam-high beam effect. I also was able to retain the use of the headlight adjustment knob.

The dilemma was how to tie the lights together when power is applied to the high beam circuit. My original intent was to use a relay to accomplish this but after getting my memory refreshed on the function of diodes I simply calculated the load and went down to the local electronics store and grabbed a 50v 6a diode. The amp draw on the Dually is 1.1a so 6a should be more than adequate. I simply had to solder the diode across the low and high beam wires in the proper direction and whalla, done, and so simple. The following drawing illustrates the two scenarios and as you can see the diode is much simpler and has no moving parts. The relay is shown in the "low beam" mode.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104675[/ATTACH]

Please note that I had already completed the mod to the dash electronics and to the reserve lighting unit as I converted the bike to all LED's long ago. I am now working on cleaning up the install and adjusting the lights. I will add some pictures later on. Any of you who have used these lights know that they really cast a good beam that I would say is superior to HID. I expect to have plenty of light going down the road with these and the set of Dually floods that I have mounted off my custom horn brackets with all four lights drawing only 64 watts and roughly 4.5 amps!

Now before I hear about the legalities of such a modification, let's just say I'm willing to take the chance to dodge critters get good vision at 4:30am when I am traveling my 23 mile commute to the radio station each morning. Plus, I think with proper adjustment the five-oh will leave me alone. I' hoping so anyway!

More later...

OUTSTANDING STAN!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Cant wait to see the light show sometime this summer!!:big-grin-emoticon:

By the way,, DONT YA JUST LOVE WHEN THAT ALL HAPPENS LIKE THAT (meaning timing for the thread) - these lop eared gearheaded, always willing to share info VR varmints are amazing!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well here is the completed setup. First the diode soldered into the headlight connector.

VRLightModEdit-1.jpg

Then a look at the bracket modification from the backside. I'm not certain I am going to keep the separate spacers. I think I will fab a solid spacer all the way across the bottom of the bracket.

VRLightModEdit-2.jpg

Here is the bracket mounted back in position. Note that I added a piece of sheet aluminum to the back to hide the wires and crap that you would see behind the lights.

VRLightModEdit-3.jpg

Low beam with floods

VRLightModEdit-4.jpg

High beam with floods

VRLightModEdit-5.jpg

Completed look. I think it looks nice and clean and the output is amazing. We've been getting a blast of winter from @Flyinfool the last couple days so I still need to get it out at night and make some final adjustments to the beam pattern.

VRLightModEdit-6.jpg