IGNORED

Installing Chrome Radiator Cover

bill4you502

I´ve done it a couple of times. It is not a 15 minute job - far from it.

Yu will need to completely loosen up the radiator - all bolts and hoses to be able to move it enough to get the top hole of the cover over the top of the radiator.

In both cases I took the radiator completely off, flushed it and changed the coolant. If you do that then remember to flush the water pump also. If I remember right I had to take the muffler off to do that.

Another thing is that the cover when installed can be tight and a little wobbly. Meaning that if you push it inwards it will kind of stay inward a little curved. I fixed this with thick strong double tape that I put in a few places on the edge of the radiator/cover. Can´t be seen and keeps the cover perfectly straight.

Wish you luck with this - first time I did this it took me more than triple the time I had expected. At least a two hours job from start to finish the first time. Got it down to just over one hour the second time. Entirely chances the look of the bike and well worth the work involved to say the least.

Installed one last year and to make it a little easier, I made a cut out in one side of the top hole to make it more of a hook than a hole for easier installation. Best I recall, it was 1/2 hr to 45 minute job for the entire process.

This is the version that I have.

Taking a shortcut this can of cause be installed in 30 minutes. Going all the way without making alterations I will stick to my 90 minutes.

In either bike was I able to pull the radiator down far enough to get the top hole over the top of the radiator without unhooking the hoses. If there is a way to do it then I would really like to know since I will most likely have to do this again sometime and would really like to be able to do it easier/faster than before.

Still, when putting the cover on it is a good idea to just go all the way, remove the radiator, flush it and change the fluid if it is due.

I just got a Show Chrome Radiator Cover and the bottom bracket holes do not lineup with the bottom bolts that hold the radiator. Not even close. Also the instructions state the top brackets may have to be bent in order to line up with the top bolts that hold on the air cleaners. Think I just got hosed.

Anyone have better success with this particular cover?

Taking a shortcut this can of cause be installed in 30 minutes. Going all the way without making alterations I will stick to my 90 minutes.

In either bike was I able to pull the radiator down far enough to get the top hole over the top of the radiator without unhooking the hoses. If there is a way to do it then I would really like to know since I will most likely have to do this again sometime and would really like to be able to do it easier/faster than before.

Still, when putting the cover on it is a good idea to just go all the way, remove the radiator, flush it and change the fluid if it is due.

Been planning a repaint of the bike, total tear down, and flushing radiator is on the list to do when I take it out of operation for 2-3 weeks, along with new fork springs, rear shock, better front speakers and perhaps a cd changer.