IGNORED

1st gen MK1 replace fuse panel

I have been searching all morning for what to use to replace my fuse panel with something that is far better and more modern. what have the rest of you used? what fit's in the same spot?

I really want blade fuses, and would like to expand it from the all used up 6 circuit to an 8 circuit to allow me to separately fuse accessories. Also has anyone upgraded the switched with a relay and a secondary fuse panel?

Here is a pic of my replacement fuse block

http://home.powergate.ca/~bjh/pix/P0002238.JPG

I used a pair of Littlefuse part #03500417XP's ganged together. One of these setups has been in flawless service for about 5 years now and I did the second one as a matter of course when I bought the second bike. The OEM fuse box is CRAP. The swap isn't difficult if you approach it methodically. It'll give you peace of mind and buys you space for extra fuses to add more electrical stuff. Mine sits neatly on top of the battery and is just tall enough to touch the inside of the cover which helps to hold it in place.

My approach was to get the new fuseblock ready and then cut one wire at a a time off the old and connect it to the new fuseblock, then going on to the next wire. Working one wire at a time minimizes chances of mixing up one wire for another. Cutting wires right up close to the old fuseblock allowed me just enough wire to connect to the new one as you see it in the picture. This method worked well for me.

Hope this is useful.

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
'cause I can't leave well enough alone.

Hey Tim,

Last spring when I first got my 87'VR, I tried to make it to the Pa. meet and eat and while riding on Rt. 30 I hit a bump and most of the old glass fuses rained down on the hiway. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the meet and I had to call my brother to pick me up with the trailer.:crying: I got an ATC fuse box from Ebay and a pair of terminal blocks from my "stash" and went to work. I have a pic of the finished project below and if you go to my profile, on the right side of my page you will see a section called "View All Albums". Click that and you will see step by step pics of the install. I have a bunch of the terminal blocks left, if you would like a few, PM me and I will send them to you. I too removed one wire at a time, and that worked for me.

Good luck on your project,:080402gudl_prv:

Earl