Agree with mm482, usually have the antifreeze in the oil but it's possible to have it the other way.

Maybe head gasket or bite my tongue it could be a cracked head.

It sure is a bummer when you buy something used and it turns out to have a bunch of problems.

Good Luck,

Jerry

If there is no coolant in the oil, I will go with Jerry’s thoughts on maybe a crack in the head. I have seen a crack from an oil pressure point to a water port, when the engine was operated at high RPMs the oil pressure would force oil into the coolant.

Earl

High RPMs or overheating really bad at one time or more. Still might not hurt it as it may have cooled without damage. Drain and flush and see if it comes back. I've done the RPMs past 10k and it blew oil everywhere. Thought it was done for but ran as good as ever afterwards. These things are TOUGH But I wouldn't recommend doing that often. I was embarassing a Hardley at the time.

Agree with mm482, usually have the antifreeze in the oil but it's possible to have it the other way.

Maybe head gasket or bite my tongue it could be a cracked head.

Jerry

You guys forgot the other, simpler possibility, waterpump seals. Maybe time for a re-build of the waterpump, as it is gear driven. There is no info in the profile, on which year the bike is & for all we know, it may have the fiber type impeller in it (which should be replaced).

:2cents:

High RPMs or overheating really bad at one time or more. Still might not hurt it as it may have cooled without damage. Drain and flush and see if it comes back. I've done the RPMs past 10k and it blew oil everywhere. Thought it was done for but ran as good as ever afterwards. These things are TOUGH But I wouldn't recommend doing that often. I was embarassing a Hardley at the time.

Your my hero. I'd be afraid to try.

Just thought of another source, of the fluid transfer. It could be that oval piece in between the cylinders, that also has coolant & oil in sections of it (quasi heat exchanger). If I remember correctly, that has O ring seals & there has been reports of leaks there before.

Check these simpler things first before, thinking of something major, as it is usually something simple.

A word on the "twinkie" rebuild (the quasi-oil cooler thingy). Just did mine twice, first time with gasket sealer I used when I rebuilt the tranny. The gasket between the 2 pieces sealed up, but the base to cooler did not. Pulled it back off and used black RTV to seal it up, as it may be warped a bit when you put it back together. Just be sure to let it cure overnite before running it again. PIA to pull the carbs and that unit out to rebuild.

Just thought of another source, of the fluid transfer. It could be that oval piece in between the cylinders, that also has coolant & oil in sections of it (quasi heat exchanger). If I remember correctly, that has O ring seals & there has been reports of leaks there before.

Check these simpler things first before, thinking of something major, as it is usually something simple.

This was also my first thought!

The tweenkie thing is the air breather assembly. It contains passages for air,oil and coolant. Mine leaked so I picked up the correct gaskets, actually they are rubber like an O ring, yep they are flimsy little boogers that are specially made to fit all contact points and grooves in these things. Save yourself the headache and don't try the sealant stuff. Another tip, It is alot easier to replace the gaskets with the carbs off the bike, but it can be done with them on, cause I did it! It wil make you say things that you never thought would come from your mouth!!!!:080402gudl_prv: Really good luck to you on this