• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, Dan.

Is there any way that they can retrofit something on, or modify, the existing shields so that this won't happen to those of us with the old style shield to keep this from happening?

Or maybe a recall and free or minimal cost replacement.

I believe that the problem would be the same with the stock shield since the mounting is almost identical. The problem only could happen if all 6 screws would loosen and specificly, the two in the middle would fall out. I also have the XXL w/vent & tint. Five of my screws were tight & one was about to fall out. I think a little locktight would keep them snug. I think Craig is trying to be proactive on this issue. In my oppinion, the original Yamaha design set the stage for this mishap. I will check my shield screws as if they were any other maintainence item. DNB

For what it's worth, I had my fairing split the other day and I remembered reading this thread and couldn't remember how many holes/slot were in mine. As it turns out my Clearview has six holes elongated about 3/8", no slots. They all line up perfectly and have enough vertical movement for adjustment, all were found to be tight.

For what it's worth, I had my fairing split the other day and I remembered reading this thread and couldn't remember how many holes/slot were in mine. As it turns out my Clearview has six holes elongated about 3/8", no slots. They all line up perfectly and have enough vertical movement for adjustment, all were found to be tight.

Mine only had one hole and the rest slots. Interesting that the design changed. Mine was purchased this year.

I talked to Craig yesterday afternoon. He advised me of the changes to any new shields. I really think that Clearview is making every effort to fix the potential result that happened to me. Another possible contributor to my windshield failing that I discovered in my own investigation. I changed out my front stock speakers for some infinity speakers about 4 yrs ago. I noticed when I was installing the new windshield support that the magnet that was much larger than the stock speaker magnets were against the steel windshield support and a little rubbing action had occurred. I think that in a shroud/windshield flex situation that the speakers could have effected the natural flex of the windshield support throughout the full length of the support causing increased stress towards the center of the windshield. The windshield fitted up and tightened down without any other indication that it could be in a bind but with the flimsy nature of the support I think it could be a factor. I know that many have put in aftermarket speakers and maybe should be something to be aware of. I replaced the Infinities with Pioneers from Bestbuy and although they have a much smaller magnet and both speakers weigh less than one Infinity they seem to sound just as good.

I was impressed with Clearview from the beginning and with the attention Craig has shown it is confirmed to me that they are good people and want to put out the best quality possible. Thanks Craig!

I just split the fairing to try to trace down what is cauisng an intermitent noise over the radio system and when I took the chrome trim off I found the bolt that goes through the only actual hole in the Clearview had come completely out. Three of the remaining bolts were loose. I installed the shield in May and it has about 6000 miles on it. When I did the install I checked the tightness, rode it for awhile and rechecked to make sure the bolts were tight before I put the chrome back on. It seems there is a real problem here and some type of fix is needed.

I just split the fairing to try to trace down what is cauisng an intermitent noise over the radio system and when I took the chrome trim off I found the bolt that goes through the only actual hole in the Clearview had come completely out. Three of the remaining bolts were loose. I installed the shield in May and it has about 6000 miles on it. When I did the install I checked the tightness, rode it for awhile and rechecked to make sure the bolts were tight before I put the chrome back on. It seems there is a real problem here and some type of fix is needed.

For the bolts vibrating loose use lock-tite.

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend Craig ("Clearview Shields") and I mounted one of his new "Shields" on my 2007 RSV. We have developed an axhillary bracket to help support the windshield on the outer edges closest to the handle bar grips. I have stated in other posts that this seems to be an area that needed some support over the factory design. This should give added support especially for the taller & wider "shields". The brackets should work with any style & brand of shields. They connect to the outside bolt of each speaker and attach to the outside metal factory backer bracket and windshield. I will post Photos if anyone is interested. Craig at "Clearview" can answer any questions about the new shield design and the bracket design. I believe he will make the brackets available for a modest fee if the is enough interest. More later, Thanks DNB

I would like to see some pics of these brackets.

In the summer I use a cut down stock shield. As colder weather approaches, I change out to my taller, wider clearview. Some folks talked about the mounting holes/slots. Mine has all closed end slots. I pull the shield three or four times a year. Never found a loose screw. I don't see how any shield could pull out of the fairing. Break, maybe, but not pull out.

Is flexing all bad? I guess I could see it adding to material fatigue and failure in some cases, but it also dissipates energy that would otherwise be directed toward other points... points that may not be made to carry the load. Then again, I don't know all that much about this stuff, so that could be all wrong.