IGNORED

Help Me! Help Me! I can see, but I can't hear!

Well, here we go again with a stupid CB/AM-FM problem. I tried out the sound system on on my '85 for the first time since I bought the bike (replaced a broken antenna). Radio and CB lights up and all buttons and knobs operate as they should, tape player sounds great, but no CB action at all and reception is almost zero on the AM-FM (as though no antenna). The antenna coax has continuity, both pos. and ground. I'm wondering what component I should check first. Any ideas guys? Come on boys....restore my hearing for me.

Does the bike have dual antennas or the single? Reason I'm asking is if you have the single am/fm/cb antenna, perhaps you have a really mis-adjusted antenna tuner box (or whatever that box is called) or one that is defective. I had the same problem. I added a separate antenna for the radio and got rid of that tuner box thing and all is fine now.

Did the '85's get one of those when they got the CB? I do not have a passenger control, yet I do not have a CB yet either.

Come to think of it, yous right, the 85's may not have had the passenger control.

Does the bike have dual antennas or the single? Reason I'm asking is if you have the single am/fm/cb antenna, perhaps you have a really mis-adjusted antenna tuner box (or whatever that box is called) or one that is defective. I had the same problem. I added a separate antenna for the radio and got rid of that tuner box thing and all is fine now.

I'm sorry, it's a single antenna.

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Pull the coax plug from the splitter. Check the center conductor against the outer conductor for a dead electrical short . If it is not shorted plug it directly into the stereo and advise if then the stereo will receive an FM signal.

If it is shorted to ground remove the antenna from the mount and make sure the insulators are in place correctly

Pull the coax plug from the splitter. Check the center conductor against the outer conductor for a dead electrical short . If it is not shorted plug it directly into the stereo and advise if then the stereo will receive an FM signal.

If it is shorted to ground remove the antenna from the mount and make sure the insulators are in place correctly

Okay, I found an antenna connection problem. But now I would like to go with a hand held mic rather than the helmet mount. My bike has a single antenna system which I'm converting to a duel system. I'd like to seperate the CB from the rest of the system and plug directly into the CB with the new antenna and mic. The CB mic plug is a 5 pin and a hand mic that ai have is a 4 pin. Question, are 5 pin mics a special breed or would Radio Shack have any that would work?

5 wire for a radio shack will work but it must be rewired. I'm thinking that the GE radios are already wired correctly. It has been about 6 years since I wired one of those, if I can find the one I wired I'll send it to you if you pay the freight. If I can't find it I'll compare the wiring on the bike to known radios and find one that will either work as is or with minimal rewiring

Edited by Bob Myers

5 wire for a radio shack will work but it must be rewired. I'm thinking that the GE radios are already wired correctly. It has been about 6 years since I wired one of those, if I can find the one I wired I'll send it to you if you pay the freight. If I can't find it I'll compare the wiring on the bike to known radios and find one that will either work as is or with minimal rewiring

Hey man, I'll pay a lot more than freight if you find it. I appreciate it very much!!!!

Does this help? I know it's not exacly what you want to do but it gives you the pin assignments and colors...

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/headsetpins.jpg

This could be VERY much help. Thankyaveramu-u-uch!!!!!! E.P.