IGNORED

Detained By NM State Police Murder Investigation NM Part 2

Dragonslayer

I'm back home now in Atlanta safe and sound after riding into the remnants of hurricane Faye's rain from Birmingham all the way to Atlanta. The last part of the trip I was trying to complete the Saddlesore 1000 from Amarillo to Atlanta. Which I will cover under a different post. But, I still needed to finish telling y'all the rest of the New Mexico portion of the trip which be covered in three parts. This part being # 2 which will cover from the Cimarron Canyon to Las Vegas, NM. Which was one of the most interesting parts of the trip.

Leaving the Cimarron Canyon I reach a place called Eagles Nest. Where Eagles Nest Lake is. Supposedly the best Trout fishing in New Mexico but I'll never know because my fishing pole blew off the trailer somewhere in Tennessee. But I know it sure was windy all the way to Angel Fire. NM where I toured the National Vietnam War Memorial. I spent some time there and was sincerely moved by the exhibits and the movie presentation of the Vietnam Years both in country and stateside. Vietnam was the war of my generation and the images depicted brought back quite a few poignant memories.

After Angel Fire as I'm entering Taos, NM I stop to check the map. While stopped I decide to answer Nature's call so I step off the road and into the woods and walk down this incline about 15 yards where I reach this creek culvert where I stand to add to the water flow of the creek. As I'm finishing up I look over to my left, and notice something strange down in the creek. It appeared to be some bones sticking out from under some clothing. The clothing appeared to be some sort of jacket. Now if it were just bones I would just assume it was some deer or animal carcuss but since it looked liked it was wearing clothes and I had never seen any wild animals wearing clothes in this sort of setting my next guess was that it was the bones of a person not an animal. Not knowing exactly what to do at that point, I decided that I probably should not get any closer to it so that I don't get totally grossed out or disrupt a crime scene should it be one. So I take a picture of it and climb back up the hill and get on my bike and ride on into town.

As it turns out I find a New Mexico State Police office about two miles down the road so I stop to make sure I can ride off with my conscience being clear. So I pull in to report it.

One of the Officers followed me back up the road to where I had pulled off and I lead him down the hill to the exact spot on the culvert where I first saw the bones. He evidently saw the same thing that I had seen because he immediatly gets on the radio and calls for a Supervisor and back up. While I was wondering why he needed back-up I slowly backed-up the hill. Turned out he needed a Supervisor to make a decision on what to do next and back-up for a third opinion on if it was a crime scene or not.So by the time the third, fourth and fifth cop car showed up and all of the officers had a chance to walk down the hill and stand where I first stood. They all had decided that it was very suspicious and maybe they should call for the criminal investigators to come secure the scene. It was at that point that they politely asked me if I wouldn't mind waiting to tell the criminal investigators How I happened to stumble over this exact spot all the way from Georgia by way of South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado to this exact spot in New Mexico. One of them did suggest in somewhat of a joking way, I wasn't laughing, that they did have handcuffs and I could be REQUIRED to sit in the back of one of the cop cars until the investigators arrived. Seeing the futility of refusing their invitation I graciously accepted. I did however agree to sit in the back seat of one of the cars when it started raining only under the conditions that they would leave the door open and I could leave one leg out with one foot on the ground. I stayed there only as long as it rained and used the excuse that I wanted to take a picture of the double rainbow as a ploy to escape from the car. So five hours later after everyone arrived and stood on the spot on the culvert and then the ones dressed in suits got to get down in the water a drag it out of the water since they were they ones that got paid the big bucks to do that sort of thing. I was set free to go my merry way.

I could have stayed there and camped out but some of the officers had been talking about the big mountain lion that had been seen in the area and if this could possibly be a cougar kill. That seemed somewhat unlikely to me since by now they all had agree that the clothing I first saw now appearred to be a large sack tied up with rope. But, to be on the safe side I opted to ride off into the night and find a safe motel well away from any wild animal danger. Which I did some hours later in Las Vegas, NM.

Man you really know how to have fun! LOL

When a cop invites you it ain't really an invite.... more like a very strong suggestion.

Only five cop cars? and only five sets of cops? Do you think it really took that many people to make a couple of decisions to haul the bag out or not?

Now how did that mountain lion get that guy in the bag and then tie it up nice and tight? Did they give you any clues to that? Did they ask you to tie up anything to see if the knots matched?

Glad you got out of there and on your way. Sound like you had a great trip other than that little diversion.

Bubber

But what I really want to know, is how did the bike run !!!!!

Thats whats really important , right ;)

You were right about the after market fork seals the left tube seal gave up in the badlands in South Dakota and bled fork oil all the way back. Gas mileage got better when the gas octane started getting better without ethonol, #4 carb float still sticking and I had to change plugs twice, the two plugs on left were black and sooty two on right fairly clean. It was losing power on the long incline pulls up towing the trailer and my big butt at high altitudes other than that she carried me 6,506 miles. I did run all the rubber off the rear metzler in the desert of NM and had to resort to putting a Harley Davidson Dunlap on in Tucumcari, NM. I couldn't help it that was the only motorcycle tire in that whole town I was just glad it fit.