IGNORED

Rear Brake Help...

Like most thing mechanical, my change out of the rear brake pads has gone to crap. 3 of the 4 pistons pushed right in, but I have one that I can not get to move.

I think I messed up the old pads trying to compress the piston and the new one will not go in.

Tips / Advice? I started to torch it and file an insurance claim. :mad:

Edited by bugfish69
I'm and idiot and can not spell.

Same thing happened to me. Don't panic, They are just a little corroded. Squirt a (little) W-D in around the piston, then take a small C-clamp and try to gently squeeze the piston in. Be careful that it does not push the other pistons out of the bores. I use 2 aluminum plates a little smaller than the pads to push on the pistons as a pair. Work them back and forth a few times and wipe off the excess and you should be good to go. Don't think a little W-D will have any effect on the seals. Good luck!!

One thing that is very helpful in this procedure, make sure the cap to the master cylinder is loose. Also be careful that it isn't too full when compressing the pistons. Watch for spill over. Another piece of advice that was passed on to me, when replacing brake pads. Before compressing the pistons, wipe all the brake dust, dirt, etc. off the pistons before pushing them in. I just used a clean cloth to wipe them down. Keeps all that crap from possibly getting back into the fluid and might even make it a little easier to compress them. I also flushed the brake lines while I had everything open. I think it's suggested that the fluids (brake and clutch) be flushed every couple of years or so anyways and it's simple and cheap thing that anyone can do on by themselves.

Crack the bleeder screw on the caliper so you are not fighting hydraulic pressure (besides, you want new fluid in there anyway). As suggested, clean the outside of the pistons with something like brake cleaner etc -- you don't want to force the crud that accumulates there past the seals as you push the pistons in. I don't push the pistons in until they are clean and shiny.

Kelly