IGNORED

Clutch basket question...

starcruiser

Since my 06 RSTD is in the shop to be repaired after the wreck, I told the Service Mgr that I'd like him to replace the I basket with the H basket and quiet the bike down, since it seems to be a technical problem and should be fixed under warranty. He instantly became a little HOSTILE and told me HE would decide what was a warranty issue. Isn't there a bulletin or something out there that acknowledges this problem? It seems I saw it once but.... What do I need to do to get it changed while its in the shop for a few weeks? Thanks guys!

Mark

When the service manager at our local dealer pleaded ignorance on the clutch basket, I just asked him nicely if he would contact Yamaha about it. 1/2 hr later he called back and said the "I" basket was ordered, week later it was installed, it helped some, but it still chirps. Craig

Assuming that Yamaha would cover it, they wouldn't go backwards on the basket series would they? Or, did you mean replace the "H" with the "I"? I was under the impression that the "I" WAS the fix! Pulling an "I" and going back with an "H"...I haven't seen anything on that change anywhere! I haven't paid real close attention because I didn't plan to do anything to mine any time soon.

Edited by autopilot

Don't expect a new clutch basket to eliminate the noise. It may or may not. It may only make the noise change to a different rpm. Your shop should replace it ONCE under warranty. When I had my basket replaced it didn't make a bit of difference. I complained to Yamaha and after rounds of debate with them, they finally said the noise is normal and not a defect and that I'd have to live with it. The shop said the only thing they'd do for me is put the original basket back in if I liked the noise in that range better then the I basket. Great,.. Do I like noise "A" or noise "B." I took a bath on the sale and swore off Yamaha. I now have a 1800 v-twin that has a Ducati note.. no more chirp! It's quite refreshing.

Good luck with your noise issue. It's too bad Yamaha let that noise into production. I could have lived with my 06 RSTD for a long time as it was a fantastic bike other then it being so noisy. :2cents:

The way it worked for me is I took to the Dealer said it was chirping and I wanted the basket to be replaced.He stated he would have to verify the noise and get Yamaha to agree to replace it which they did.He said Yamaha's position was it would reduce the noise by up to 60% which is about what I am getting.Good Luck!!:Cool_cool36: