IGNORED

Riser bars, throttle now sticking, doh!

FutureVentures

Also posted this in the tech. forum but, no response yet and I want to ride soon! So,any help you can provide, is MUCH appreciated.

Just installed Barons risers in my 2000 MM RSV.

I installed the risers in about 20 minutes, as everyone said it would take.

However, my throttle cable is so stiff when bars turned right, the throttle sticks and doesn't return to idle.

I read that you can re-route the throttle cable.....

New territory for me here, the throttle cable disappears into a black abyss.....

Not sure where to loosen or reroute.

BTW, sitting in the garage, the bars sure feel a lot better.

I also took the rubber bumpers, flipped em upside down and backwards, seem to be wedged in there quite nicely.

Any other ideas on how to reduce the tension? Danka.

Erich

Rerouting the cables is your only option, I know when guys put the flanders bars on you need to change all the cables and whatnot. Your gonna have to take off the tank and start following where the cables are going through....start now and you'll probably have it done by riding time tomorrow

:stickpoke:

Ok, I'm resigned to rerouting.

Sooooooo, few questions.

I assume I disconnect from the handlebar to begin the reroute?

Removing the gas tank, can/should I leave the gas in?

Is there a specific way I should look to reroute or, just hunt and peck?

Wonder why others were able to add risers without rerouting.....hmmm.

Thanks again for any tips.

I didn't have to re-route my throttle cable. I was able to pull a little slack up and the problem was fixed.

If you do have to re-route the cable the I will warn you before you open the Throttle cable/Cruise Control junction. Be very careful opening it, and remember how things go back together. If I remember correctly there is a retainer spring that pops out and isn't very intuitive on how it goes back in. I will also warn you that your cruise control most likely won't work the same. You will have to make some adjustments after it is all done to get things back to normal or close to it.

Ok so, I did major surgery (for me) on the bike this weekend, to try and remedy this throttle stick, post riser implementation. To no avail.

So, I removed the seat, the tank and finally, split the fairing. I could NOT get enough slack to stop the lock of the throttle on hard-full locked right turns.

The throttle is still stuck, when bars move to 3/4 and more to the right. But, I rode today and did MANY figure 8's at slow speed. Soooo, until I have time and money to replace with braided cable, it will stay as it is....

Unless, you folks tell me this is a bad idea.

Sooo, any other helpful ideas? Cause, I'm stuck.

:bang head:

Cheers.

Try and play with the positioning of the brake master assembly by sliding it in a bit on the bars then try and slide the throttle in more and retighten everything. It took me quite a few tries and some realignment but I finally found the sweet spot. I pulled on the cable but it was at its maximum stretch.

Once the throttle housing is open, you can spray some cable lube in there to help things slide a bit easier.

It is actually pretty simple to re-route. No need to remove the gas tank or split the fairing. Just unhook from the throttle (pay attention as per SaltyDawg's instructions) then just re-route from front of the fork to betwen the forks and reconnect.

I didn't know about the spring and still don't. It never flew off and all went back together with no issue.

Cheers

What angle did you set the bars at? If they are too high that might be part of your problem. Without the stops in it's very easy to set the bars higher because if feels better on your shoulders. Just a thought.

Yeah, maybe I do have the bars a tad high, that could explain some of it.

I did push the throttle in as far as I could, but might try again and also add some lube.

Once I had the throttle body open, I could easily see, how the cable connects/disconnects, just like a bicycle's brake actually.

However, I couldn't get that sucker out of the hole. Ran out of time and had to put it all back together. It sticks but, I haven't noticed it in riding at all.

Will try more later and as always, THANKS!:big-grin-emoticon: