IGNORED

Driving lights

frankc

Hello everyone.......first let me say this sight is the greatest! I just purchased a 2008 Venture and after getting used to the weight...it's the best bike I have ever owned. I must be lucky cause I don't have the I-basket problem I've read so much about.

My question today is about driving lights. Who makes a good after market unit? Or do I have to go with OEM? Are they difficult to install? Maybe it's best to have the dealer do the whole thing. What do you think?

Thanks

Not sure what aftermarket sets are out there. I went with the Yammie lights and installed them myself. Saved $ and kept the bike from being in the shop for a few days. It can be done in a few hours if you know how to turn a screwdirver and can follow a simple wiring diagram.

I would NOT wire them the way the Yammie directions say to. There is a better way and we can help you with that when you get to that point.-Jack

Guest Dandy1

I think you will be happy with the driving lights. I went with the ones from Yamaha and had the dealer install them. Its is the only thing I had the dealer do when I bought the bike. I have installed the rest of my accessories myself and if I had it to do over again I would try it myself with the help of the folks on this site. The lights are a safety factor with added visability as well and more light at night. I have mine aimed slightly outwards to the right and left and it helps to light up the ditches on each side of the highway. I think you'll love the RSV, good luck! Ride safe.

Hello everyone.......first let me say this sight is the greatest! I just purchased a 2008 Venture and after getting used to the weight...it's the best bike I have ever owned. I must be lucky cause I don't have the I-basket problem I've read so much about.

My question today is about driving lights. Who makes a good after market unit? Or do I have to go with OEM? Are they difficult to install? Maybe it's best to have the dealer do the whole thing. What do you think?

Thanks

Check with metric.magic@gmail.com tell him Steve Stelter sent you his way. I think I paid $210.00 for bracket and lights sent to the house maybe there was $20 for shipping I can't remember exactly. Could have been $220.00 total ?????

Since I am electrically challanged and I put them on I am sure you can too. Take your time and get just do it.

Clear a nice work area and cover it with towels or something soft and follow all the directions till you get to the connecting the wires to the bike part. There is a better way and someone will post or sent you the link to the "better way".

Good luck and have fun.

Steve

aka Bubber

Not sure what aftermarket sets are out there. I went with the Yammie lights and installed them myself. Saved $ and kept the bike from being in the shop for a few days. It can be done in a few hours if you know how to turn a screwdirver and can follow a simple wiring diagram.

I would NOT wire them the way the Yammie directions say to. There is a better way and we can help you with that when you get to that point.-Jack

Can't afford the driving lights yet - the XL Clearview is next on the wish list BUT you got my curiosity up. How would you wire the lights? I'm not asking for a diagram just a simple explanation.

Thanks

Lynn

Yammie says to get power thru the ignition switch, put the fuse in the fairing and gives you an El Cheapo switch.

A better way is to get power directly from the battery using a relay, put the fuse under the seat, and buy a better switch. This puts less strain on the ignition switch and allows you to change the fuse without splitting the fairing.-Jack

Walmart Platinum Burners - about $15 - 55w a side or something like that. Many are using them on this site and like them. I have them and like them. They look good and look OEM.

Do you just mount them to the existing light/turn signal bar with clamp like a Kuryakyn quick clamp?

Do you just mount them to the existing light/turn signal bar with clamp like a Kuryakyn quick clamp?

I cannot speak for a second gen but there are many that are currently use them on that front light bar. It has a bolt going down from the bottom of the driving light (for the wire) and a nut/washer to secure it.

I am sure a 2nd gen owner will chime in soon with the details.

Check the link below. There is a pic of a 2nd gen there with them also. There are a few different kinds but they look very similar if not almost exact.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17241&highlight=platinum+burners

Edited by GigaWhiskey

Guest BlueKnightGa6
Yammie says to get power thru the ignition switch, put the fuse in the fairing and gives you an El Cheapo switch.

A better way is to get power directly from the battery using a relay, put the fuse under the seat, and buy a better switch. This puts less strain on the ignition switch and allows you to change the fuse without splitting the fairing.-Jack

Suzuki had the same instructions (through the ingnition) for the lightbar for my C50T. Once I upgraded to 4411 sealed beam tactor lights at 35W each instead of the OEM 25W bulbs I began noticing my key was HOT. I installed a prewired driving light harness with a relay from an auto parts store. Now my key isn't hot anymore!

The relay is easy to do or even make on your own and is worthwhile insurance!

I can see if I can get the diagram of the home made relay if anyone is interested.

Chris

Edited by BlueKnightGa6
Forgot to add something