I hope I am inserting my question in the right location and will have someone reply with an answer. Who manufactures aftermarket antennas (one for the cb and the other for am/fm reception) that will just replace the two overly long stock antennas on my 88VR? I, too, have a severe problem rolling in or out of my garage because the antennas are way to high. Heck, I have even broke a couple flourescent bulbs in my overhead lighting. I could care less if they both must be completely removed or if they don't fold down like the stockers. If some knows what I can replace them both with that are much shorter, please advise model number and where I can order them.

masterguns

Here is a thread you might find helpful to your question. I changed my antenna out a couple months ago and it really made a difference. The original antenna is just over 4 foot, but I went with the 3 foot FireFly and like it better. As for working, it works great. Also the FireFly comes in a matching cb antenna or a am/fm antenna if you wish to separate them. :2cents:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24485

Depends on what you expect for results. Two of us just went down to the local CB shop and bought the 3 footers and installed them. They work just fine, but I'm not sure on the range we get, we never use them long distance, use them only when we're riding together. But then we both ride first gens, and when we ride with a second gen we either let them lead or we keep a close eye on them so that they don't get out of eye sight.

Depends on what you expect for results. Two of us just went down to the local CB shop and bought the 3 footers and installed them. They work just fine, but I'm not sure on the range we get, we never use them long distance, use them only when we're riding together. But then we both ride first gens, and when we ride with a second gen we either let them lead or we keep a close eye on them so that they don't get out of eye sight.

Bought the 3 footer what? What brand/manufacturer? Are they the Firestiks and did they just screw right on or did you have to change anything like the mounting hardware or coaxial? I sure do appreciate your help.

Thanks

I ordered mine online from roberts-etronics45.com. It is a FireStik FireFly FL3, If you go to the link I had on my first post, on the second page I have a breakdown of the total cost. I purchased a new antenna and a new mount. It fit the hole in the bike mount perfectly. I also replaced the coax on the bike, but I already had it at the house......

Bought the 3 footer what? What brand/manufacturer? Are they the Firestiks and did they just screw right on or did you have to change anything like the mounting hardware or coaxial? I sure do appreciate your help.

Thanks

Just a 3' CB attennna, no particular make. It comes with a load coil so that the wave length can be matched. The CB attenna can also be used for the radio but you will need a splitter box so that you don't blow the radio when you transmit through the CB.

I'm not positively sure on this one, but by '88 I think all of the antennas were folding type antennas. Have you tried unscrewing the silver section on the bottom? You may find out that your antennas fold down for pulling into the garage...

My 88 has a fold down antenna. Works really great when it has to be outside under a cover.

Yes, the original stock antennas are folding antennas. Most retailers has the fold-over mount if you want to get it. I didn't get it with mine yet, but I may later and add it onto mine. The three foot antenna doesn't seems to hit anything, but when I cover the bike it would nice.

I'm not positively sure on this one, but by '88 I think all of the antennas were folding type antennas. Have you tried unscrewing the silver section on the bottom? You may find out that your antennas fold down for pulling into the garage...

I know they fold down; just to much in a hurry all the time and besides I'd rather take out a couple bulbs pullng in the garage. I would just prefer 3'er or shorter even if I had to remove them whenever covering the bike. Weather permitting tomorrow, I'm headin for the local CB shop to see what they might have in stock that will just screw on to the existing stock mounts, fold down or not.

I think you will run into problems with the thread. All aftermarket CB antennas, mounting studs and accessories have 3/8-24 thread mounting (if not ALL, the great majority do). Factory stuff, for some reason, always has to be different. I've read specifically that Gold Wings and big Harleys have different threads, and I'd bet the VR does too. Mine already had been converted to other antennas when I got it. You're probably gonna need a new stud mount and cable for each antenna, or just one with a splitter.

I'm told that if you go under 3' the CB performance will suffer. I had two very short, like 16", fiberglass antennas and the CB worked but the range was short. I installed a 3' Wilson Flex (like a Firefly but thinner) with a splitter and a fold-down mount for covering. I haven't really used the CB since, though, other than eavesdropping.