IGNORED

2 gen clutch release cylinder r&r

hi all

i am going to help james (jburell) to rebuild his clutch release cylinder. i have a question about the removal of it. looking at the manual i have to remove the shift rod, the stator cover, left floorboard, left exhaust and middle gear case cover. can't i just pull the middle gear case cover only to be able to access the two bolts to remove the clutch release cylinder? looks like there would be enought room to unbolt it and drop the cylinder down and out the bottom. seames to me that this one cover would be the easiest and fastest way to go. any ideas or suggestions.

thanks in advance & best reguards

don c.

:icon_smile_question :bang head:

I've had that apart, but now I can't picture it well enough to know. Give it a shot pulling just the middle gear case cover and see if it can be done. I wouldn't pull the stator cover off if you didn't have to. It's not that difficult - just save the work and fiddling. I'm thinking at least the exhaust will have to come down though. I think there are a couple bolts just far enough behind it to not be able to get the allen wrench on them.

thanks for the reply, while looking at the middle case cover i can see the two bolts that hold the clutch release cylinder. it just seems like their should be a better way than to pull half the bike apart. maybe its a way for the steeler to keep your bike awhile and charge more. saying it takes x number of hours to pull all the stuff off instead of just a couple hours. i find it hard to belive i would have to pull the stator cover off. thanks for the input.

best reguards

don c.

It wouldn't be the first time I took something apart without taking everything else off that the manual said to. The manual says that when removing the cam covers to check valve clearances or whatever (like swap cams), to drain the antifreeze and pull the coolant hoses off the heads. I found that it wasn't necessary to do that, which saved me a bunch of time.

thanks pegscraper

just got back home, was in houma, la at a hotel and used their computer in the lobby. thank goodness i was in the cage, got heavy rain several times.

saw several bikers tryimg to out run it but no dice. but did see a couple of rider setting the rain out under the overpass @ hwy 90 ( proposed i-49 and la 316 ). almost took the scoot. thanks again for the help.

best reguards

don c.

hi all

i am going to help james (jburell) to rebuild his clutch release cylinder. i have a question about the removal of it. looking at the manual i have to remove the shift rod, the stator cover, left floorboard, left exhaust and middle gear case cover. can't i just pull the middle gear case cover only to be able to access the two bolts to remove the clutch release cylinder? looks like there would be enought room to unbolt it and drop the cylinder down and out the bottom. seames to me that this one cover would be the easiest and fastest way to go. any ideas or suggestions.

thanks in advance & best reguards

don c.

:icon_smile_question :bang head:

just the middle gear case cover i fixed my at the beginning of summer 08

I believe they're having trouble keeping the clutch system bled. It all started with them trying to bleed the clutch anyway. The slave cylinder is probably gunked up and letting air in around the oring(s).

Ponch

hi bob

it's like ponch said. but james(jburell) has bought a used '99 rsv a couple of weeks ago. the clutch went out on him, i went over to look at it. found very little fluid in the system, he told me " he had noticed a couple of drops of fluid under the bike." so after a little bit of work finaly got his clutch working. told james to keep a eye on the fluid level, he has had to add fuild to the system. so we are doing a clutch cylinder rebuild. i don't think it's a clutch hose leaking, i feel there would be more fluid on the ground. so hopefully just an hour or two james will be back on the road. he's also has the ignition switch problem too.

thanks for asking & best reguards

don c.

:sun: