IGNORED

Need sidecar built for electric scooter

a1bummer

Anybody in here with first gens with sidecars? My knees have gotten so bad it's getting real hard and painful to get around. I want to build a sidecar for my scoot to carry one of those electric power chairs on. I was hopping that I could see some pics of how they are mounted to a first gen. I think I've got the rest of it figured out. I just don't know how to mount it to the bike correctly. I was also a bit curious about haw far back to place the sidecar wheel. Would I put it inline with the rear wheel or closer to the front? If so, how much forward of the rear wheel?

Thanx for any help in advance, Bill

Anybody in here with first gens with sidecars? My knees have gotten so bad it's getting real hard and painful to get around. I want to build a sidecar for my scoot to carry one of those electric power chairs on. I was hopping that I could see some pics of how they are mounted to a first gen. I think I've got the rest of it figured out. I just don't know how to mount it to the bike correctly. I was also a bit curious about haw far back to place the sidecar wheel. Would I put it inline with the rear wheel or closer to the front? If so, how much forward of the rear wheel?

Thanx for any help in advance, Bill

Bill .

your best bet, is to locate a member who goes by the name of "HEATHER'S WHEELS".

SHOOT HER A P.M.

her husband built her a "special sidecar", to accommodate her wheel chair.

really nice set up.

just jt

That has crossed my mind. I already have a small trailer that gets stuck behind me quite a bit. But if I did that... where would I put my beer cooler and all the camping gear? Lol. That was my plan in the mean time till I got the hack set up. And ya, it would make things a bit easier on the knees if I had the sidecar. I dunno for sure what I'm gonna do yet. Just running through some ideas.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Bill .

your best bet, is to locate a member who goes by the name of "HEATHER'S WHEELS".

SHOOT HER A P.M.

her husband built her a "special sidecar", to accommodate her wheel chair.

really nice set up.

just jt

here ya go, bill.

http://WWW.HEATHERSWHEELS.COM look at the pics of the goldwing/sidecar build from day one, until completion.

very clean job. just jt

That setup looks pretty nice. Not quite what I had in mind though. What I'm trying to find is how a sidecar attaches to the 1st gen. Then I can go from there. If I star at it long enough I'll figure it out sooner or later. I was just hopping that someone here might have a hack on their 1st gen and might have some pics of how it hooks up to it.

Not sure what kind of scooter I'll end up with yet. Nothing extravagant. Something small and portable. I was thinking something on the order of these, http://valuemobility.com/solarr.htm or http://www.zapworld.com/electric-vehicles/electric-scooters/zappy-3-ez

Not sure what I'll be able to get away with. My doc still has me at a temporary disabled status for some reason. Even though it's been about 2.5 years since I got my knees wrecked at work. I reached maximum medical improvement in October of 06. Workman's comp quit helping me with anything since then. Now it's up to my lawyer to get what I need. Sucks that I can't even sue the insurance company for my lawyers fees. Things just keep getting worse. Today I had to go to the emergency room due to the pain. I guess that's what I get for yesterdays activities. It's really bad when I get passed up by the blue haired old ladies at the grocery stores.:rotf:

a1bummer...

Have a look here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24651

The photos give you a general idea how the connection is made but it will depend a whole lot on what kind of rig you connect to you scoot. This outfit makes almost anything you want http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Sidecars/sidecars.htm . Not going to be a cheap endevor in any case :mo money:

Hope this helps..

I am in the process of mounting a sidecar to my 83 Venture. I have mounted sidecars previously but I will say the Venture is the biggest challenge. Most sidecars mount with four points. The first is the front tubes that run down each side of the radiator. A 3/4" ID pipe approximately 3 inches long is welded to each side. I then ran a 3/4 inch threaded rod from one side of the bike to the other. The other top connection is mounted to the rail under the seat. I'll post the picture of these mounts this week. Now comes the challenging part. Finding two mounting positions for the lower mounts. The engine is so close to the frame tubes that is is difficult to mount much to it. If you have a welder, I would suggest welding the brackets to the frame. I made a bracket and mounted it to the 3 bolts for the back footrest. On the front lower mount I fabricated a bracket using the bolts that hold the horizontal brace that is located between the down tubes in front of the radiator. I bought my sidecar and it came with the Hardware to mount it to a Harley Softtail. It came with a sub frame that I have used to mount to my bike. I am now in the process of hooking up the sidecar brake. I am using a seperate system so I can disconnect quickly and not have to bleed my brakes everytime. I have seen several Handicapped sidecars available on Ebay. You might be better off selling your bike and buying a bike/sidecar rig and saving the hassle of mounting a sidecar. I am not even sure the mounting brackets I have fabricated will take the strain a sidecar puts on the frame of a motorcycle. You can send me emails with question if you like. Good Luck, Ronnie