IGNORED

engine tapping question

Guest Dandy1

Guest Dandy1

I have an 06 RSV with 6 K miles, it has started making a taping sound like lifters tapping almost to the point of a light knocking sound when you first start it up. After a minute it goes away. Is this just normal for this engine? I like this bike but it has the noisest engine of any motorcycle I have owned. Between this tapping noise and the 70MPH wine. I am running 10W40 Synthitic oil, should I run 20W50 instead?

Thanks for your help.

Dandy1

Usually the tapping comes from the right side lifters and from what I have heard it's because of the oil draining back down and it takes longer for the oil pump to get oil up to it. My 99 does that on cold mornings, my first RSV did it too. I had 37K miles on the first one and this one had 49k miles.

Wayne

Its a normal sound for RSV's..I have an 05 and it to does it.

Thay all make loud clicking and knocking sounds when cold, and I agree with yuo that these are the noisiest bikes I have ever owned!!!!!

But I wont get rid of mine for anything....(ops..never say.. I wont...)

They all seem to do it first thing in the morning...and then only if the bike sits for about 3 hours..nothing to worry about...

I just dont rev the blazis out of it or run it hard at all until the sound disappears...

I have an 06 RSV with 6 K miles, it has started making a taping sound like lifters tapping almost to the point of a light knocking sound when you first start it up. After a minute it goes away. Is this just normal for this engine? I like this bike but it has the noisest engine of any motorcycle I have owned. Between this tapping noise and the 70MPH wine. I am running 10W40 Synthitic oil, should I run 20W50 instead?

Thanks for your help.

Dandy1

I have the same noises on my 06 RSTD. Doesn't seem to cause any problems at all and goes away once warmed up. I am using a 20W50 and if anything, when it is cool in the mornings, it actually taps more. Like you, I really like the bike, but it is the noisiest bike I have ever owned.

What's different between the 2nd gen & 1st gen in this regard? I've had 2 1st gens and don't get this "tapping" sound ever.

I would say, the guy who built the engines on the 1st gen retired......:rotf:

I would say, the guy who built the engines on the 1st gen retired......:rotf:

so what you're inferring is the 2nd gen engine is inferior?

The old guy who retired didn't pass along all his "secrets" to his apprentice eh?

:sign20:

Guest Dandy1

Thanks for the help, I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed this tapping noise. It runs just fine. I guess with a 5 year warrenty you can't go wrong. Thanks again!

What's different between the 2nd gen & 1st gen in this regard? I've had 2 1st gens and don't get this "tapping" sound ever.

From what I have read here, the 1st gens are "so much faster" you probably do not even notice the tapping....lol.....I had a Suzuki that did this as well and as the motor got more miles on it, it just went away.

Guest bikerbob

I just completed a saddlesore1000 and immediately after noticed a 'knocking' sound when I started the bike. I immediately took it into the dealer (what are warranties for?) to have it checked out and got confirmation from the dealer that it is a known situation normally starting in the first 10K and that there is not real problem that could turn into a major problem.:080402gudl_prv:

My 06 has the "tapping " that does NOT go away. They said it was the lifters, and they were "in spec". Would fix at the 28000 mile inspection--or I could pay to have a valve adjustment done now. Im 67 years old so I may never here this bike run right:sick: :whistling: ---Buzzard

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with yuo that these are the noisiest bikes I have ever owned!!!!!

It's only relative... I just traded my '99 Victory last Friday for a 2006 RSV. HA HA HA... If you guys call the RSV noisy, you should ride a early model Vic. With that torque compensator stuff going on.. when you let the clutch out in neutral, it sounds like someone put marbles in there...