IGNORED

Please help me with lighting questions

roadwarrior

I have a 2006 RSTD and want some LED rear turn signals replacements and a replacement headlight (h4 or better) for better lighting.I am on Custom dynamics website but wanted to make sure I buy the correct lights.In addition does anyone know if I will need the load equalizer for the turn signal? I would appreciate your help.:doh:

I have a 2006 RSTD and want some LED rear turn signals replacements and a replacement headlight (h4 or better) for better lighting.I am on Custom dynamics website but wanted to make sure I buy the correct lights.In addition does anyone know if I will need the load equalizer for the turn signal? I would appreciate your help.:doh:

I can't help you specifically on the light selection, but I know that if you use a load equalizer on your signals it wont have the self cancelling capablities like it does stock. Most folks just let them blink a bit faster so they will cancell automatically.

I got these and they are bright. I do not use a load equalizer. I just let 'em blink a little fast. I tried a Trick Flasher but it killed auto cancel and I got tired of looking like some senile old guy riding everywhere with my turn signal on. I guess I'm stuck with the old guy part, but the senile thing was a bit too much, at least for a year or two.

I got the Eclipze type for the front. They're bright and have a slightly different flash pattern for better visibility.

I don't know what to tell you about headlight bulb. I put a Diamond Star modulator on my high beam and run with that all the time I'm not in a group of bikes. For a TD I would think the Kisan modulator would be better since they make them to plug between the bulb and the socket. No box to find a place for.

I have replaced all my turn signal bulbs with leds and do have load equalizers and my turn signal auto cancel still works on them.
Load equalizers defeat part of the purpose of LEDs - the whole thing about using less electricity. They bring the load up to that of a standard bulb, hence the name. No gain there. All you get is fancier lights.

Auto cancel still works because you're using the same flasher relay. The stock relay flash speed is load dependent. The Trick Flasher is a digital flasher that replaces part of the original flasher circuit. That's why it kills auto cancel. Since it's digital it is not load dependent and has five different flash patterns. Pretty cool, really. I'd still be using the thing if it weren't for that auto cancel issue.

If you don't use the load equalizers you'll be easier on your electrical system. The lights will flash a bit faster, but not wildly so. People will notice. They'll think you have a burned out bulb on the other end, but the'll see you.

Works for me. :)

Roadwarrior.

The headlight bulb for the Venture is an automotive style H-4 bulb that can be picked up at most any auto parts store or Wal Mart. I bought my last one at an Auto Zone store when mine went out on a trip. I looked over all of the choices and picked the highest wattage that was offered at the store. However, my next one will be one of the Blue Spot bulbs( I think that is what they are called). I believe those give just a little more illumination. :thumbsup2:

I haven't purchased any yet, but I sure like the look of the Genisis LEDs that is offered by Custom Dynamics, www.customdynamics.com. I am going to try them with electronic flashers to reduce the amp draw though. The auto cancel isn't a big deal with me. I have ridden so many bikes that didn't have it, that I usually tap the turn signal switch every time I turn anyway.

Good luck with your picks.

Steve,

The Genisis is what I want to order.I called Custom Dynamics and the problem is we cant figure out which one in the amber color to get.My bike is not here so I cannot pull the bulb to describe to her.

On the headlight is what you are referring to the same as a HID(Xenon).I hear the are really good in the blue as far as illuminationg the road and shoulders.I ride alot in the mountains and really have problems with the current lighting.

Just enough Steves to make it interesting.

The link I gave above is to turn signal inserts that use Genesis LEDs. All that really means they're the new, very bright type.

If I remember correctly I ordererd the first and third on the list. The rears are 1156. Single electrical connection, either on or off. The fronts of the RSV, since at least '05 have been three pin. They're third on the list (BAZE). I got the Eclipze because of their increased brightness.

I don't know what the RSTD has, though I'm guessing they'll be the same. All in all you should probably look at your bulbs to make sure.

I can't help you with the headlight. All I did with that was add a modulator. I also have the passing lamps with their own horn activated modulator. I run them all the time, so I'm not having issues with being able to see the road yet. Maybe the other Steve can help with that.

Well this is what I ordered for my rear turn signal.What do you think?

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/3FunctionSmFINAL.gif

Dynamic Clusters are a multi-color LED Clusters used for rear turn signal applications. The clusters contains 48 super bright LEDs. The outer ring contains Amber LEDS while all inner LEDs are dual intensity Red. The Amber LEDs are connected to a 1156 or 7507 base while the dual intensity Red LEDs are connected to 3' wire pigtails.

These clusters can be wired as: Red low intensity Running light, Red High Intensity Brake Light, and Amber High Intensity Turn Signals, this allows your rear turn signals to be converted from simple turn signals to Dynamic running, brake, and turns signals, all in one unit!!! Installation is very simple, just plug the base to the stock turn signal housing receptacle, run the orange running light wire and the red brake light wires through the stock turn signal steams back to the taillight, connect the orange wire to the stock running light and the red wire to the stock brake light wire with the supplied posi-lock connectors.

Dynamic Clusters can be used with Amber, Clear or Smoked Lenses, check out our lenses here. The Red LEDs are so powerful they will shine Red though most stock Amber lenses, however a more dynamic effect can be achieved with smoked or clear lenses.

Dynamic Clusters have a Life Time Warranty Against LED Failure.

Dynamic Clusters are NOT Dot approved, for off road or show use only.

A load equalizer may be need to slow down turn signal flash rate.

Need Help Identifying your bulb